1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BF Bassman vs. Blonde Bassman vs. BF Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Jul 7, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I've got a 1966 blackface bassman, and i love it ... but the bass channel is basically pointless ... i'm narrowing down my rig to one amp + 1 or 2 pedals ... the bassman has the perfect amount of headroom for me, i'm just interested in what the other choices can offer.

i was just wondering what a blonde bassman circuit would give me compared to the blackface.

I was also wondering if a super reverb can get as marshally as the bassman can when it is cranked. how does a super's cleans differ from the bassman?

thanks, jon

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I don't think a Super Reverb sounds "Marshally", but I think a Blonde Bassman does. I think the blonde is the best, thickest, meanest, warmest yummiest of the 3 you mentioned. They're all great, but I really love the Blonde Bassmen with the presence control. A lot. As long as you're on this path, do yourself a favor and check out Allen amps. Master volumes are NOT the devil in this case (though not all his amps use a master or 'raw' control). I think you'd be well served with something like the Brown Sugar or Old Flame.

http://www.allenamps.com

3. themusicboxstudios

i should probably say that what i'm looking for is a BEAUTIFUL fender clean/very light break up. The more overdriven stuff would only be used for recording ... my pedals would take care of the drive in any other situation.

thanks, jon

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I think both blackface and blonde bassmans break up a little at Band volumes, but it's such a great sound. You're playing a Tele, so it's still going to be a cleaner sound. Roll back the guitar's volume a tad and there's your clean.

Still, check some of the higher powered Allens for sure.

5. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

If you want the best full clean sound, with some dirt at higher volumes, go blackface. If you want in your face, go blonde.

6. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Let me clarify--blackface Showman is the way to go for beatiful Fender cleans. So good you won't really need reverb. Sorry about the confusion.

7. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I ran a blond '63 Bassman head, with a BF '67 Bassman head, and A/B'd them at a gig. The BF had been modded to 864 specs. For some reason I liked the BF more in the classic rock gig we were doing. But they are 2 different animals. They both sounded killer. Blonde is very ballsy, great blues amp.

8. radialaced

radialaced Member

Had a Blackface Bassman with the AB864 ckt. It got pretty aggressive.

But not anymore aggressive than my 65 Super in the normal channel. With a humbucker, my 65 Super in the normal channel will grind for days.

Single coils and the reverb channel is a different story. I prefer the humbuckers and the Normal channel.

9. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The later Blonde Bassman, the one with solid state rectifier is my favorite. It has all the chime of a BF Bassman but a little more chewy. I don't like what the reverb RC bypass circuit does to the tone of Super Reverbs, just thins it out too much, but I dig 4 tens. Bet you can guess what I'm going to say next. My favorite all time Fender amp is the Brown Concert, chimy and chewy like a blonde Bassman, but in a 4 ten combo package. I'm not a fan of the earlier tube rectifier Blonde Bassmans.

10. 1979

1979 Member

I Once tryed a 1962 blonde bassman with a matching 2x12 cab in a guitar store in London,ON. It had the ss rectifier. It was, and still is the best sounding amp I have ever played in my llfe. It was much more chimey, but at the same time raw, than any blackface I've played. Strangely, I thought it sounded much more 'british' than most fenders. It had the perfect breakup that stayed smooth but retained all of the high end detail. I have never played any blackface that pulls this off- you either end up too harsh or too muddy.

These ss rectified brown/blonde amps have awesome high end. All sorts of companies claim they make amps with non ice-pick high end, I've never heard high end as present but not-at-all harsh as that blonde bassman. I have a blonde bandmaster which is close but not the same. I by no means have played all of the great amps of all time, all I know is the blonde bassman I played had the perfect response speed/feel/sensitivity etc. I have a matchless clubman and a '66 pro reverb, and ironicaly the bassman had more in common with the matchless clubman than the pro reverb. I would have traded either for that particularly clean and killer sounding blonde bassman and cab, but could not make it work as I did not have my amps with me in my travels. I would probably try to buy one on flea bay but the problem is I am convinced that 75% of these amps can't sound as good as the one I tryed. If they all sounded as good as the one tryed you would n't see them sell for around $900-1300.

cheers.

11. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Bass channel or normal channel?

12. themusicboxstudios

thanks for the help guys. to tell you the truth ... i think i've got exactly what i need. I'd love to play a blonde bassman in the future and check it out ... but i absolutely love my BF bassman ... i like it more than my Divided by 13 FTR37 i used to have. the only complaint i have is that i wish the bass channel was more usable ... i'm considering having it modded ... but i want to keep the amp original, so i'm gonna try out a few pedals first.

13. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Bass channel or Normal channel? If the bass channel is modded a teeny bit (no effect on the Normal channel at all) you get an outrageous classic overdrive.

14. fakeox

fakeox Member

Is their a recipe to follow for the perfect scoopy BF sound? I have a BF Bassman & thinking about bypassing the 3rd stage on one of the channels. Is their any other changes needed to get "That" sound?

15. fakeox

fakeox Member

Thanks for the quick reply Tele Man. Is their any KEY differences between say Ch 1 on a super & the 1st 2 stages of the Bassman? T.I.A..

16. fakeox

fakeox Member

Thank you sir!

17. jakins

jakins Member

Curehardy,
    cruise up to true tone in santa monica in the next few days...they have an old blonde bassman with a matching orig. cab sitting in the little sound room...played it 2 days ago and it was awesome. That should help you out.

18. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

Amen! :BluesBros

[​IMG]

A lot of that has to do with the Presence control in my opinion which for me is the most used knob on my '62 Bassman (6G6-A circuit with solid state rectifier) depending on the guitar and speakers I use. Later versions did not have it anymore, even later (silver face era) got an extra middle control, too.

Some old band demos done with that amp and the Marshall cab as well as others are listed here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28073#28073

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  19. ES350

ES350 Member

simple reversible mod for bass channel; .02/.02/270 tone stack, change fixed mid resistor to taste (10-15K), slope resistor to 56K.

20. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have a 64 Bassman head, that was a transition black tolex, but still had the white knobs and presence control, that I bought on eBay several years ago for maybe $450. I found a beat up 60s 2x12 cab here in toen, and bought some blonde tolex, the gold sparkle grill cloth, and a pair of Webers, and I completely restored it. I did not take before and after pictures :( That would have been cool, because it was completely trashed out cosmetically, but here it is...
    [​IMG]
    Sounds killer as it looks! The first time I played it at a jam, I tilted it back on the legs, and it nearly took my head off! I haven't heard that since I had an early 70s 50 Marshall Stack in the late 70s. After that, I sort of wish I had used Celestions in it :)