BF Deluxe Reverb or BF Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockster12, Mar 19, 2006.

1. rockster12

rockster12 Member

Or BF Pro Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb.
    I have an oportunity to pic one of these amps. It would not be a gigging amp for the most part as that is pretty well covered. It would be mostly for jams and small gigs. Kind of a grab and go. I have 66 super reverb, but it never gets used as it is too big to grab and go. So I quess I am asking, would it be a bad Idea to trade for one of the other BF fenders and which one?

2. myles111

myles111 Member

A Blace Face Pro reverb from the sixties is one of the finest amps Fender ever produced from my own personal point of view.

3. myles111

myles111 Member

Except .....

A twin reverb stays pretty clean and the Pro Reverb can be played and sings at lower levels ... has the tube rectifier so it is more touch sensitive, and just all around more fun and more usable in more places.

so as far as "poor man's" .... unfortunately ... not here in Los Angeles. Folks got wise to how great the amps are.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

the pro is great but is also BIG. Only slightly easier to transport than the SR. Do you need reverb? If not give a listen to the chocolate(brown) Super (6G4-A). These amps RULE and sound as good or better than almost anything out there in my opinion, sans reverb. two 10s instead of four but similar power to your Super Reverb... easier to grab and go and just about as loud. The tremolo spanks the BF tremolo, too... phasey, kind of univib-ey. Tremolo "smooths out" at high volumes so you can play quiet fingerpicking passages with heavy trem and then crank some loud power chords with less trem without ever having to touch or adjust or switch anything... awesome.

The BFDR is a great amp (most of them). What do you like about your super? The super will have a tighter bass response than the deluxe, so if that's important to you you might want to consider that point. Also, again if you don't care abotu reverb, BF non-reverb deluxes can go for less than half the price of the BF deluxe reverb. Then you could get even an original 6G15 reverb tank for those times when you need reverb (shhh, don't let the secret get out) and still have money left over! That's what I did... I have two non-reverb deluxes.

5. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Had a '66 Super Reverb and still have a '66 Deluxe Reverb. FOR ME, the SR had really, great tone but, you had to really wind it up to get there.
    My '66 DR has really, really good tone at about 3-3 1/2 on the volume and just gets better as you push it harder. DR, better tones much sooner at lower volumes and still can pack quite a punch.
    The DR is much lighter to carry. Just remember when you play it, GET IT OFF THE FLOOR!! Put it up on a table or anything, just get it up, wind it up and let it go!

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Don't forget the Vibrolux. Pretty grab and go and great tone.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I see a lot of gigging blues guys hint down Vibrolux's.

8. brad347

brad347 Member

vibrolux is a great amp. A friend of mine was hunting down a BF deluxe reverb, tried about 5 of them, and ended up with a Vibrolux. In many ways I think it's a better amp than the DR.

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Those are all terrific amps. If you really want "grab and go" I'd go with the Deluxe Reverb. With a good speaker in it the DR will get plenty loud for gigs and unlike your SR you can toss it in the front seat of your Yugo and you're all set.

Dan

10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've got several blackface amps that might work for your situation.I've got a 66' Pro Reverb, 69' Vibrolux Reverb(Blackface guts), 72' Deluxe Reverb(modded to 65' Blackface specs). All these amps have older,CTS or Utah speakers in them. Well I had a friend bring over an Avatar openback 2 x 12 cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. I had never tried any of these amps with a Vintage 30 speaker,but WOW, they really sounded awesome. They had a real balance shimmer to them with alot of clarity to the notes. The amp that sounded the most impressive was the 66' Pro. Although the Deluxe didn't sound quite as open as the Pro, it still sounded great. The fact that it's lower wattage and doesn' weigh 53 lbs like the Pro, makes it a better choice for a grab and go amp. I'm now convinced that I need to get some 30's for the Pro and the Deluxe and the equivalent for my Vibroluxes and the Princeton. GO with the Deluxe, you won't be sorry.

[​IMG]

11. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I owned a super years ago then a twin and I have used a few ther amps the last 10 years or so (boogies, matchless and other fenders). I recently bought a 65 Pro reveb and I love the tone of this amp. I like it much better than the others but it is not a "grab and go amp", I don't think it weighs less than a twin.

So for a small amp I would go with the deluxe but the Pro is my all time favorit tone.

12. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

13. sideman

sideman Member

In the past six years I've owned and gigged a BFVR, BFSR, and BFPR, among others. And friends use BFDRs. If you're looking for a grab and go for moderate volume work, the SR and PR are out. They are both heavy and remain clean until they're very loud. As between the DR and the VR, for jams and small gigs it would be the DR. They sound great at modest volumes and can put out alot of sound when you need them. And they don't hurt you lifting and moving.

14. karmadave

karmadave Member

For jams and small gigs, I really don't think you can beat a Deluxe Reverb. You can usually crank them past 3 and it's easy to get in and out of autos, clubs, etc. The 6L6 amps (PR, VR, SR) are awsome too, but they can be a bear to move and you be asked to turn down at most jams. I've also heard of people installing a 12" speakers into Princeton Reverbs. Either of these smaller amps will do the trick, keep the jam hosts/club owners happy, and be easy on your back.

-KD

15. KLB

KLB Member

The DR makes a dandy 6L6 amp with a few modifications.

I put Dave Allen's high-current PT, larger OT, and a Vibrolux-sized choke in my '66. Neither the PT or OT require any drilling. The choke required one new hole in the chassis. Next, convert the power filter dropping resistors (10K, 10K) to those in 6L6 Fenders (1K, 4.7K) for more preamp headroom and drive, which the 6L6 can take. For a bluesy tone just a little louder than 6V6, go with the reissue TungSol 5881. For more headroom, try some Wing-C 6L6 and use a speaker load half the impedence tap (16 into 8 ohm). I am currently using a Tonker speaker, but that is always subject to change.

16. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Don't listen to Ken. He would paint a new dress on the Mona Lisa.

;) :jo :D

Dan

17. KLB

KLB Member

Nah. Perhaps a moustache!

18. johan

johan Member

You have a SR already. You're looking for a smaller grab'n-go amp. Try the Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb.
    Both amazing amps! They all are!
    Here's my 66SR+65DR. Since I got them I haven't really looked at any other amps....and that was like a year ago. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I Like them All!!! -But for the Overall Grab N Go Amp. It is the Vibrolux Reverb!
    40 Watts of Tone!!!
    [​IMG]

20. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The best BF I heard was my SR. Just sold it because it never got played. Too big and heavy. Frustrating ... most times it just wasn't practical or appropriate to take it out. The VR is a close second, with the DR in that neighborhood, at least in practicality. I go back and forth. The DR has that sweet 6v6 thing, and the rounder 12" sound, while the VR has a classic multi-10" punch. I can't afford both. May ending trading my DR for a VR to swap sounds, get that little extra bit of volume the VR provides.