• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BF deluxe reverbs

EndOfSystem

Hello,

curious.

I've been trying out the DRRI and I've never played a 'real' one to compare.

I've been looking for a small version of my orig BF super, you know a nice blackface tone that I can grab and go with.

The thing that bugs me about the DRRI is the bright cap thing with the Vib. channel. It's really annoying. I can almost recreate it with my super, clean with the bright switch on. Not my cup of tea.

Do the old BFDR's have that same tone?

I've considered getting a Clark Beaufort Reverb (not the 5E3 w/ reverb but his BFDR) built, but without hearing it I'm a bit hesitant. If it had that tinkly bright tone all of the time I'd be pissed.

I had thought about asking him to build it with a bright switch like my super.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

EOS

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have the Beaufort Reverb, but I do have the Beaufort (5E3) with add on reverb. If the Beaufort Reverb is anything like my amp quality/tone-wise, it will be a home run. I can't imagine Mr. Clark putting his name on anything that wasn't stellar. I'd give him a call...

Eugene

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
I was in the same boat. Had a DRRI and I just never was happy with it. In all fairness I could have experimented with tubes and speakers but just didn't feel it was worth it. I'd either buy an original or do exactly what your doing (ie looking at other models). I've been super happy with my Allens but I wouldn't mind trying out a Clark or something.

EndOfSystem

That bright cap is awfully easy to remove.
Yea, I know and I could get some good tubes and a nicer speaker and...

So why do I have a phobia of this amp?
I played Boogies for years (non-PTP), don't I trust Fender anymore?

EOS

BudLite

Silver Supporting Member
The old BF's are MUCH better than a DRRI...so is a Silver face...older fenders have the cap as well, just cut one side of the cap. on the vol. pot.

kiteflyer

I think DRRI's can sound pretty darn good if you're willing to clip the bright cap, change the speaker maybe some tubes etc. Kind of a pain though, and it still sounds quite different than a BF in the end. (IMO of course.)

I think the SRRI sounds great stock; but that's a different story.

re-animator

I think the speaker is the major shortcoming of the fender RIs. Makes the amps sound a lot more brittle and harsh.... not soft and organic like good BF fenders are. I've heard plenty of RIs with webers that sound fantastic though.

EndOfSystem

Perhaps your talking me off the ledge.

I can get a great price on a DRRI, I just have late model Fender amp phobia.
Although I wouldn't mind saving the cash!

EOS

Top Bottom