1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BF Pro Reverb vs. BF Vibrolux Reverb...which do you prefer? ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GeetarGoul, Aug 12, 2005.

1. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

and why? Choose any speakers you want. :dude

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The Pro has a HUGE sound. It's not as portable as a VR, but a Pro is an OUTSTANDING amp, and they're still relatively affordable...

I'd throw in a couple of Weber 50-watt alnico Blue Dogs.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Have to go with the bf vibrolux reverb. The 10" speakers keep it together in the low end a bit better, imo, and if your playing a paf loaded guitar, the tone is fender heaven. I happen to have 2 weber silver 10's in mine! :D

4. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Vibrolux Reverb. Love 2x10s.

5. I think a BF Pro Reverb was maybe the best amp I ever had.

Much fatter'n a Twin turned down! Lush even.

6. Don L

Don L Member

Overall Pro. Love the 12"s...:)

7. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Hope this isn't too much off-topic. I've got a '64 BFVR and ironically enough use it as a head to drive a 2 x 12" cab with Red Fang speakers, a nice combination. Have also enjoyed it driving Celestion Blues, guess I'm not really chasing an 'authentic' Fender tone. The original speakers were shot when I got it, and have tried Celestion 10's (can't remember the model) and a Weber C10N & C10NQ combination (also not my cup of tea). Maybe I just need to try a different model of 10" speaker. Given that I like the Blues and the Red Fangs, does anybody have recommendations for 10" speakers based on direct experience? Oh yeah, to answer the question, I preferred the VR over a Pro I played, despite liking the fullness of 12" speakers.

8. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

Which one if you're playing a tele? :dude

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

I'll take the Pro - sounds killer with every guitar I've ever plugged in.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This is just one of those "can't go wrong with either" situations.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I got a 1965 all original Pro Reverb from Mass Street a few months ago, sounds incredible. I also have the same year/condition in a Deluxe Reverb and Twin. They alll sound great, but I have to go with the Pro. I do like vibrolux reverbs, I think the Pros sound huge. I've thought of letting the Deluxe and the Twin go, but I would keep the Pro for my style. Sounds amazing with my Grosh VT!!

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Pro reverb sounds slightly bigger clean, Vibrolux reverb breaks up WAY nicer. I like my SF Vibro more than the Blackface Vibros. Even better breakup. I have a totally stock 66 Pro reverb and an early 70s vibrolux reverb.

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

I have both. I prefer my Pro Reverbs.
    Great combo amp.

Tomo

14. poipounder57

poipounder57 Member

My SF Vibrolux has the sweetest tones ever!!! It's been Blackfaced by a great amp Dr. here in the islands. It's loaded with a pair of Eminence Ragin Cajuns.
    Favorite Strat or Tele>AC Boost>Vibrolux...tone heaven:dude

Aloha:cool:

15. mkg

mkg Member

LP + '66 BFVR w/Jensen C10NS = yum :cool:

[​IMG]

16. stratofied

stratofied Member

The Pro Rev is a nice amp for sure but IMHO the Vibrolux is much sweeter all around. I have owned a fairly good collection of well maintained Blackface Fenders and I've done many side by side A/B comparisons. I'm now down to a '66 Vibrolux Reverb and a '66 Deluxe Reverb. Sold the Pro Rev and the Twin.

17. slider313

If your playing a tele or strat or any true single coil p/u, I would go with the pro reverb. The 12's seem to give the s/c p/ups a better overall tone in their frequency range. They don't have the output and the mids of a paf; which,imo, sound better from the 10's in a vibrolux. The amps are pretty much the same except for the speakers and cabinet size.

18. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

I've got a 66' Vibrolux with the gold label jensens. I love it but haven't used it much and was just wondering what ya'll's opinions were.

I do admit that the 2x12's produce bigger sound but the vibrolux seems to push it's 2 smaller speakers better.

In my opinion the Pro has bigger, rounder and better cleans while the Vibrolux breaks up better.

Also, I'm really finding that each amp has to be evaluated on it's own merits. Like guitars, some just have "it."

19. slider313

I have a ' 64 Vibrolux reverb and removed the original oxfords, replaced them with brown+gold jensens; which sounded good at low to mid volume levels; then put in a pair of weber 30 watt silver 10's. These seem to smooth out the highs at higher volume levels and hold the bass real well. Overall warming up that fender tone, cleaning it up and giving it more punch. To be fair, I have a .02 cap on the phase inverter instead of the stock .001 for more lows and disabeled the vibrato for more volume and fidelity.

20. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Recently sold my BF Vibrolux Reverb because I favor my BF Pro Reverb. Sounds bigger at about the same volume. Definitely has better cleans and headroom. Great for club gigs. The Pro kills with a tele but my 335 plugged straight in for blues is off the chart!

<M