BF Super Reverb replacement speakers...without breaking the bank

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SouthernShred, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I know the popular ceramic/alnico mix from Weber, but that is a bit out of my price range right now. Are there any good 10" speakers that mate well with a Super Reverb that don't have an ice-pick top end and compress well ala CTS alnicos? They don't have to be just like CTS, but something to bring out the warmth and roundness of a hard driven Super Reverb.

Things I've considered:

Eminence Legend 105-8
    Eminence Ragin Cajun'
    Eminence Copperhead
    Warehouse Veteran 10
    Jensen Reissue 10's

Thanks,

Shannon

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

What about the Weber Signature Series? They're cheap and sound great.
    A friend of mine just loaded his '66 SR with the Sig. alnicos and the amp sounds killer.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Speakers are so important to the sound of an amp that I would never compromise on them. You already have a great amp so why take a chance with its voice. I would personally go with the recommended Weber combo or go all Weber Blue Pup ceramics. Difference in price?...not that much. Difference in sound?...Priceless.

4. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

Personally, I thing the Weber Sig series speakers sound very good. I have the Alnico's in the 2 5E7 bandmasters I've built, mixed with an efficient ceramic 10" and the tone is killer. If you want to tame (volume wise) that SR down a little I would go with 2 Sig ceramic 10s's (maybe 1 10s & 1 unribbed) on the bottom and 2 alnico 10s's on the top If you're playing on some big stages or need to fill up large rooms with unmic'd sound, I'd go with Emi Legend 1058's for the ceramics or something with similar specs.

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

while I would normally agree with you, the CTS Alnicos that everyone loves so much in Super Reverbs were some of the cheapest around at the time these amps were new...I think the old transformers, etc play as big a part in the sound as anything.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

don't forget the Eminence Legend 1028Ks...it's a 35 watt alnico and is a very nice soudning speaker...I replaced a Copperhead in my Fargen combo with one and am loving it...the Copperhead is also a great speaker but the Legend is a bit thinner in a good way and more aritculate to my ears...

if you want to go all alnico 4 of the Legend alnicos would sound great...if you want to mix and match I would probably go with 2 CHs and 2 Legends or 2 CHs and 2 Ragin Cajuns...if you want all ceramic I would choose the CHs although I havn't heard the Legend 105s...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. karmadave

karmadave Member

Ted Weber is making his version of the CTS speaker used in Super Reverbs. Maybe mix a pair of CTA10's (alnico) with a pair of CTC10's (ceramic)?

I agree that CTS alnico's are THE speaker for SR's...

-KD

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

He hasn't released them yet. I check his site everyday and it always says "Coming soon"

9. meterman

meterman Member

Friend of mine put a couple of Mojotone 10s in a Brown Vibroverb RI and was pretty happy with them and they are reasonably priced....

10. Maction

Maction Member

looks like the Weber CTC10 is avaiable in 8 ohm for $50 a pop:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ctc10.htm

I've been waiting for the CTA10 as well. :munch

11. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I wonder if the CTC10 and CTA10 would mix well together? CTC on the bottom, CTA on the top? I have 4 1973 CTS Alnicos at the house, one needing a recone and the other 3 getting awfully tired sounding...

12. Sweet T

Sweet T Supporting Member

I just ordered some of the CTC's to go in my VS410. I will have to let you know when they get to me and I get a chance to get them in the amp.

13. Casey

Casey Member

COPPERHEADS....I've heard a Super loaded with these and they are sweet!

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

THe SR I bought came to me as a player, with a good amp section, but it was loaded with whatever Fender uses as an AlNico blue. I blew one, replaced it, then blew another one. I got fed up with that and got a quad of Eminence Delta Demons. I have not put a lot of hours on them yet, so they are far from broken in, but they sound great! But BEWARE, the made an already heavy amp extremely heavy! I now need to use a dolly to move it. I won't even try to pick it up and carry it like I used to. Just to load/unload, and set it up. I chose the Delta Demon from the description of the sound from the specs. All-Parts had the best price I found on them, BTW. And they have the whole range of the line, and a lot of other cools stuff, too.

15. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

well, talked to Ted today and he's in the hospital with pneumonia... :(

He said the CTA's should be out soon, but being sick has held him back. He recommended CTC10's in the bottom and CTA10's in the top for a Super if you like the CTS sound

16. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I have a 4x10 Avatar cab I use with my BF Super head. I loaded it with 4 of the Warehouse 10's (back when they were only $19 each). I am very very happy with the tone.

I played it next to my buddy's BF Super with Jenson's and it sounded as good or better.

I experimented with Ragin Cajun's but found them too 'in your face' , and I've heard that the Copperheads are even more-so.

I've heard good things about the Emi 1028's - but I've not heard them myself.

17. bosstone

bosstone Member

I don't know if that is true but even if it was, that doesn't mean they would be cheap today.

18. sideman

sideman Member

I've had a couple BFSR and agree that the CTS AlNiCos are where it's at. They aren't hard to find, since they were the primary SR speaker thru the late '60s into the early '70's. If you don't have a quad, get one. Another speaker that sounds great in SRs is vintage Jensen C10Qs. They show up too, since alot of Silvertone amps had them. I tried Weber P10Qs and P10Rs in a BFSR and didn't like them.

19. paisleytone

paisleytone Member

Why not? It's not like putting cheap speakers in his amp is going to damage it. He should try eminence. Cheap price and pretty good speakers.