BF Vibrolux Reverb, should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by atomicmassunit, Jan 4, 2008.

Which would you do?

1. Sell it and pay some bills.

2. Keep it and sock it away in the great shape it's in.

3. Keep it and put some good speakers in it (or use the Jensens).

4. Swap it for a Twin Reverb or other good BF Amp.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Supporting Member

I'm debating on letting my Vibrolux Reverb go. During the summer I bought a really nice '66 with original Jensens in it, and then had to sell it to buy a PRS from Zilmo (thanks Z!). No biggie, I have a BF Super Reverb and Deluxe Reverb that are both great. I started to miss the VR and grabbed another one...

I worked on this amp and it was so clean that I told the guy, if you ever wanna sell it let me know. 6 months later... ya want it? Sure. This one is also a blackface, a '67, with the original Oxford 10L5's in it. These speakers are DARK!!! I tried Emi copperheads in it, didn't care for them, then put an original set of Jensen C10Qs in it, which sounded good, but are on semi-permanent loan from a friend. I hate to blow those up since they're not really mine. So I put the Oxfords back in it, and dont like the sound of it very much at all.

Plan B would be to get some Tone Tubbys, since I haven't found any other speakers I like. Even plugged into my other cabs this amp is a little on the dark side (speakers notwithstanding). Overall it just doesn't sound as good as the first one I had. Should I dump time and effort into trying to get it to sound good, and spend money on speakers? Should I sell it to pay off some bills? Should I swap it for a Twin Reverb? I've still never owned a good twin, so that might be an option...

This should be such a great amp but the only way I like it is with those old Jensens in it. The amp is all original except for a cap job and grounded cord, all the blue mallory caps are good, the trannies are good, speakers work, and I have GREAT nos tubes in it, GE 6L6s and RCA preamps, it's just not adding up because of the speakers.

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I said sell but thats because Im good with money and finance, up to you ofcourse

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

You know I had the chance to hear a Concert with original oxfords and I agree, it's kinda dark like my Ampeg Gemini VI was. I much prefer the '67 Jensen C10Qs in there right now, really warm but punchy, right in my sweet spot for a 4X10 config.

I say keep that killer amp and go get some NOS Jensens! You've heard them so you know you like them, the rest is just a matter of wallet squeezing!

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I say swap it. Those problems that you perceive will just nag at you till, without thinking, you sell it for less than its worth. Do it locally and shop around.

Or, if you're like me, tweak tweak tweak (though I am jsut starting in that regard with amps) and make it your own and what you want it to be . . though that might mean losing 'originality' and collectability.

5. atomicmassunit

Jezz, I may do that, it's certainly a possibility at this point.

Jahn, know where I can get some old Jensens? Even reconed would be cool, I've liked every reconed oldie I've heard.

pfflam, I hear ya. I've been a tweaker for a long time. My DR was a similar story, there were two for sale and one was the best sounding one I'd ever heard but I missed it by a day or two. It took me several years of speaker and tube swapping to get #2 to sound as good as #1, but nowadays it's the benchmark for those amps around here. People always try to buy it! I've just been more into playing these days than tinkering with the amps (oh crap, this is the gear page!) I mean, uhh... I've been spending way more time tinkering than playing! Yeah thats the ticket.

GT, I don't think I'll go with any modern amps unless I build them. Surprisingly my most reliable and most gigged amp is a 57 Tweed Vibrolux. I've played the hell out of that thing for years. Still prefer the Blackfaces overall though. I do bring two amps to every gig, and spare tubes, fuses, soldering iron. The only one of these old amps I've had go down at a gig was this Vibrolux Reverb, but it's really my fault for gigging it before I spend sufficient time burning it in after buying it.

I'm gonna make some phone calls and see if my buddy will let me keep those speakers because they sound great. If they made a 10" version of the Cannabis Rex though I'd be all over that!

6. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

Are you interested in selling the Oxfords? I'm interested in finding some.

7. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I have a '66 Vibrolux Reverb w/ (2) Reverend / Naylor 10"s in it. Everyone who hears it says it's the best VR they've ever heard

I would try those before you sell it. I also have a '64 BFDR that many have also commented was a spectacular one. If i had to choose - I'd sell the Deluxe first

8. Lamont

Lamont Member

Ya know , i just picked up a 2nd Blackface Vibrolux reverb and its just because im really starting to think that for my style thay are just the perfect amp. This is not name dropping , but i picked up M. Landau VR and whoever did the work on it (Bradshaw Maybe ??) put in some NOS 5881 Tung sols but also the put in two dissimilar EMI Patriots, A rajin cajun and a copperthead ,,,,ive have a boatload of these amps and allways sold them in favor of my 64 Deluxe Reverb .But this one is amaizing.. Id say , KEEP iT. Its money in the bank!!But usable bank!! I also believe that these along w/ Blackface DRs will in time hit the 4-5k mark for nice ones,but even players will hold up as a good investment.Tweed deluxes ,Vox ac-30s , Blackface DR and Vibrolux Reverbs will allways be the ones ya just have to hold on to!!:AOK

9. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

This could have been my poll. I have a '65 VR on the tech bench getting the once over now. Has original Oxford's, but I picked up an Emi CH and RC to go in there. Can't wait to get her home and try out again.

You've got some nice stuff you're holding there. I voted for you to keep the amp and search for speakers. Good luck, man.

10. atomicmassunit

Thanks to all of you for steering me in the right direction!

I just bought both a set of old Jensen P10RJF's and a pair of Tone Tubby Ceramics. The Jensens were super inefficient and very sweet sounding, but the Tone Tubbys are unbelievable. I have been using an Emi Cannabis Rex in my DR, and since they don't make a 10, I tried the Tone Tubbys. Holy smokes. I love them! This amp sounds right now. In fact, Kenny Wayne Shepherd is going to be using it later this month when he comes through. I used it tonight for practice and just loved it. Sounded like the VR of my dreams. No regrets on selling the old one now, this one sounds better! Thanks TGPers.

11. atomicmassunit

rgee27, I'm gonna hang onto them. These particular ones don't even sound as good as most I've heard, you wouldn't like em.

12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Glad you decided to keep it. Since you have a SR and VR, how does the weight compare between the 2? My buddy is considering a SR, VR, and Pro Reverb, but is worried the that SR would be too bulky to carry and thus is leaning toward the VR....

13. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

VLR is my favorite BF: more headroom, throw, fullness, and volume than deluxe. More break up and not as loud as Twin or Super. More "magic" than Pro. I'd sell the others and tweak this one to perfection (speakers, cap job, tubes).

14. goodtone

goodtone Member

Man you have a two of the best Blackface offerings that Fender ever made. I wish I had both of those amps because if I did I'd never let them go ! They sound fantastic, look cool, and just appreciate in value . Ask yourself this....Whats out there thats better ? If there is I wouldn't get rid of them unless I could AB the new amp or amps against the ones you have. Besides the Vibrolux is the ultimate small to medium gig amp, the weight is very user friendly as they say.

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I pulled the Jensens out of my '66 Vibrolux Reverb to save them and put in a pair of Tone Tubbys as well. No regrets.

Congrats on finding your tone.

stratzrus