BFDR help

wleeds

I have a chance to buy a 66 BFDR w/JBLD120.
Great sounding amp however it doesn't completely blow my DRRI w/C-REX away, which actually sounds killer live.
What do you do?

wleeds

How do I date it: sn#A1494x
JBL-D120 - grey basket with Fender part number on it
power - 606-5-48
next - 606-6-02
next - 66-5-52

caps look like they have been chaned to blue ATOM(?)

thx,mark

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I would stick with the DRRI or spend $750 and get a silverface which is a much better deal in handwired fender amps.

The money the BF combo amps are going for is STOOPID these days. If you really want a BF amp get one of the heads. They are a much better value.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
March of 1966. The JBL was an expensive and unusual option for the DRs (gives it more of a hi-fi edge with less breakup than the more usual speakers-so great for country and a base for pedals, less of a rock and roll tone, but louder and cuts like a mofo). All in all, probably a $2400 amp (depending on condition) and one any collector or player would be proud to own...

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I have a chance to buy a 66 BFDR w/JBLD120.
Great sounding amp however it doesn't completely blow my DRRI w/C-REX away, which actually sounds killer live.
What do you do?
Well the '66 may need a little work. It should be a "no contest" when put side by side with a "reissue". What's the asking price; if you don't mind?

wleeds

$2400.00
Strangely enough it sounds great with an Eric Johnson Strat side by side with a new DRRI. My DRRI has been biased and has a C-REX. I use an 86 Am Std Strat-stock and side by side with mine, there is not that much of a difference.

wleeds

Another test.
When I have both my DRRI w/ C-REX and the BFDR w/JBL at vol-5, treb-4,bass-3 1/2, the DRRI is significantly louder and more open. The BFDR sounds like there is a blanket over it(?). It looks like it has new caps, blue Spargue Atom. Am I missing something?

BudLite

Silver Supporting Member
get rid of the oxford speaker, find an orig jensen c12n. or weber 12 50 watt light dope...

SkydogFan81

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to believe that a Reissue is better. How abou this...unplug the C rex and unplug the JBL. Now plug the C rex into the BFDR and vice versa. If there is no diff, save your money.

I have played some DRRI and I thought they were very harsh when compared to my BFDR w/ an AlNiCo tone tubby.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
The taper of the pots are different. You may also have a tired JBL. Cross the '66 over to the CREX and see if there's a big difference.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
Another test.
When I have both my DRRI w/ C-REX and the BFDR w/JBL at vol-5, treb-4,bass-3 1/2, the DRRI is significantly louder and more open. The BFDR sounds like there is a blanket over it(?). It looks like it has new caps, blue Spargue Atom. Am I missing something?
you are CLEARLY missing something: you already have a great-sounding amp. either that, or the bf is in need of work to get it to sound as good as a drri with your bias and speaker. . . . if i ever stumble on a bf OR a silverface, them things had better tickle my nuts. like anyone can tell ya. . . some are great. . . some. . . ain't so great. . . . save that dough for something else. . .

wleeds

When I run the C-Rex into the BF it makes he JBL sound very tired.
I think I'll keep it and get it serviced with some new tubes. It also has these MESA tubes.
Next question, rather than the C-Rex what would you put in it?

SkydogFan81

Silver Supporting Member
BFDR love NOS RCA's I love the Tone Tubby AlNiCo in mine, but others seem to like ceramic speakers too. The Webers get good reviews. That C-Rex is a fine speaker

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The C-Rex gets alot of love around here specifically for the DR. Any particular reason you want to swap it out?

If you can't leave well enough alone I can recommend 3 speakers that might work well.

Jensen NEO. Nice round lowend, smooth treble response incredibly light. This speaker is a GREAT match for the DR. (so is the C-rex tho)

Celestion G12-30. 70th anniversary edition. I have this in my victory. HUGE low end, crisp top, neutral mids.

Eminence texas heat. Another popular speaker choice for the DR.

Personally I would stick with the REX since it seems to sound good to you already.

wleeds

I don't want to swap the C-Rex, love it.
I was comparing it in a DRRI with a BFDR w/JBL-D120 I just bought. The JBL seems tired and doesn't have near the response the C-Rex does. The BFDR also seems like it might need a tune up.

On another note, the C-REX in my DRRI cuts great live with or without keyboards. Tight yet lively.

Trending Topics