BFDR Problem?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by How, Apr 13, 2016.

1. How

How Supporting Member

Loaned my BFDR clone to my nephew. Worked fine for a day. Went to turn it on the next day and no pilot light, no sound. Blown fuse. Replaced fuse and when turned on had a hum and rectifier tube sparking. Sent him another rectifier and he had the same issue. Any ideas? Power tubes? I'm 100 miles away from amp. Thanks

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Trying a new set of power tubes will require at least a bias check and, in most cases, a bias adjustment.

Time to send it to a tech.

3. How

How Supporting Member

If I had the amp here bias check and adjustment not an issue. Hoping it is as simple as bad power tubes.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

so many things, if it's a vintage BFDR then it's likely running 460-465 voltage and has probably taken out a power tube. Could be the 470 ohm screen resistor on the tube socket also. The blown power tube could have taken the output transformer with it... hope not.

5. How

How Supporting Member

It's a clone. Under 400v. Hope to get it home soon. Thanks for your input.