BFDR Vibrato tick tick tick....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mbratch, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

My vibrato, when switched on, makes a ticking or clicking sound (not very loud) in the speaker. The volume of the click is the same regardless of the intensity. And it occurs whether there's an instrument plugged in or not. It goes away if I use the footswitch to turn off the vibrato.

Any idea what causes this?

2. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

It's the oscillator being coupled into the reverb-recovery and/or phase-inverter.

You have to move the wires going to V5 away from V4 and V6 wiring.
    It's a trickey process that must be down with the chassis pulled and speaker connected. MOVE THE WIRES WITH A CHOP STICK OR SOME OTHER NON-CONDUCTIVE PROBE! BE VERY CAREFUL!

A .02uF 1KV ceramic cap from the 10M resistor to the ground side of the
    opto-coupler may help also...

-Jon

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks so much Jon. I will check that out.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

I just got a brown 6G4-A super with the 3-tube vibrato that is ticking or motorboating when I got the speed up past around 2 or 3.... it's a very bassy tick. I just got the amp yesterday so I havent had a chance to really learn this amp yet. Would this be a similar issue or something else? Sorry for the threadjack!:Devil

I might start my own thread about this as I have a few more questions about the amp.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I find that in the BF/SF amps, using a "weak" 12AX7 tube will smooth out the tremolo. I like to use "used" Sovtek 12AX7WA's for V5. They are a bit low on gain to begin with, and a tired one is even better. Old pulls are good, too

I can "induce" the ticking/thumping in the tremolo (in BF/SF Fenders) by just putting a new, strong tube in V5

*edated four poar spelin'

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I just got a Victoria Victorilux and have this same problem.

I called Mark (guy who builds the amps) and he said it is definitely an issue of the 12ax7 being too hot in relation to the other tubes.

He said if I switch it out, the ticking should quit. If it doesn't, then a capacitor will have to be changed to compensate for the oscillation.

7. brad347

brad347 Member

I've heard that replacing the neon bulb in the "bug" with an LED can correct this problem. Anyone tried it? My BF deluxe ticks too...

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Dunno about LED's, but if you get yourself a "Surf Bug" from that Vintage Jon fellow, you will have a deep, efficient and great sounding tremolo in your amp!

I have 3 Bugs, and will no doubt own more as the Fenders keep piling up!