Bi-amp a guitar with a bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thirstypirate, Jul 8, 2008.

1. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

I am currently out to sea for a while and a lot of guys brought their gear this time. One of the amps laying around in the shop was Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 bass combo and I bi-amped it with my Mesa Lone Star Classic 2x12. The tone was immense! I setup the parametric on the bass amp to accentuate guitar friendly freqs and kept the master pretty low. Cleans were full and round without adding any mush but I thought the most impressive sounds were through a fuzz. Those chords were HUGE.

I would really like to expand on this when I get back to the States and was hoping to hear some pros/cons and experiences from those who have gone before me about what amps are the best to do this with, setup ideas and what kind of techinical problems can arise from it.

BTW, the guy who the bass amp belongs to took it to another space last night because he said he couldn't get any good practice time in with all the jams going on down there. LAME!:mad:

2. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

I was reading somewhere else about frequency overlaps being a problem when doing this but I didn't notice it in the short time I was playing through both amps. I did cut the bass on my guitar amp considerably and had the treble almost all the way down on the bass amp.

3. D.G.

D.G. Member

I've done this before, huge sound, but it's just too much crap to lug to a gig... :(

4. Johnson

Johnson Member

I've tried this as well with my Dual Rectifier + orange 4x12 and my Bass Players SVT +2x15 cabinet. Needless to say, it sounded MASSIVE!

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

A very cool and respected Canadian guitarist Gordie Johnson used to run a Supro through a couple of big Sunn Amps and his tone was indeed MASSIVE. Maybe a little different than what your doing but it involved bass and guitar amps..:AOK

Edit:maybe it was a Garnett amp??

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

:eek: I can imagine! I think a 2x15 might be what I'm after.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to look into Sunn and Garnett. What other bass amps have guitar players used in the past other than the Bassman?

There was a recent Guitar World interview with Dweezil Zappa and he mentioned using one his Dad's old Acoustic 270 bass heads as part of his rig.

I'm going to do some more research...