Bi-phase or Pi-Phase - Where in the chain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dcbc, Jan 15, 2015.

1. dcbc

dcbc Member

So I purchased a Prophecysounds Pi-Phase from a forum member and am thinking about it while it's in transit. I have searched for this specific question and have found nothing exactly on point. I know where to put a phase shifter is highly subjective and that they sound different before dirt versus after dirt.

But those old Bi-Phase units are so large, you rarely see them on the boards themselves. So unless they're in a loop, it seems like they were often run at the end of the chain based on sheer convenience. The Pi-phase is more board friendly and could be placed anywhere. But if I run it before dirt in stereo (out), that presents its own set of issues with what to do with the stereo channel or do I just run that one undirtied and leave the dirt on the A loop.

Thoughts? Also, for those of you with Bi-Phases, where do you put them in the chain?

2. Doctor X

Doctor X Member

2 dirts?
    i tend to have phasers after dirt, and vibes before, but it does depend on the individual pedal and to some extent the dirt and type too

3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Phase before dirt is a mellower sound, phase after dirt is harsher and more in you face - as you probably know if you're dropping the money for a Pi Phase. I like my phaser after fuzz and before dirt so I kind of get the best of both worlds.

With the old Bi Phase boards, a lot of what you hear was it being used in a studio environment where it was setup however it sounded best.

If it was my board, I'd run it before dirt and keep it mono. Or run it stereo into two different dirt pedals and then into two separate rigs, which would probably sound unbelievably awesome.

4. dcbc

dcbc Member

Thanks. I may be confusing fuzz with OD with Dirt.

I've had success in the past running various phase shifters (small stone, stereo polyphase, and Maestro MP-1) ahead of all of it and after all of it. None of it really sounds bad. But it seems a lot of what I have read about running it in front of everything is going for that really slow phase 90 EVH tone. Of course, most of the phasers I have/have had, aren't really phase 90ish.

I'm running a Sunbender as well as a pair of Tube Screamers. Currently: Env Filter -> Wah -> Phaser -> Sunbender -> Deja Vibe ->TS9 -> TS808 (Silver) -> Compressor -> Analog Delay (DM2) -> Neo Mini Vent -> Fender SF DR.

So you would suggest running it after the Sunbender and before the Tubescreamers like I do the vibe? Or would it be better off after the tubescreamers (assuming I run it mono).

Should be here tomorrow!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. dcbc

dcbc Member

Fortunately, I have tomorrow and Monday off.

As for mono/stereo series/parallel setup, it works both ways (switch sets where the B side picks up the signal). From what I have read, running it mono-in (switch set for the B side to run off the A input) and stereo out and controlling the sweep rate with the A setting, but reversing the direction of the sweep on the B-side makes for a really cool effect (or interesting if you switch the B side to square wave). We shall see. Running it in mono/in series will probably be more practical (and probably lush sounding as can be). I really want to run it with the expression pedal to get that great phase-wah sound, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I'd run that chain as:

Sunbender -> Env Filter -> Wah -> Compressor -> Phaser -> Deja Vibe ->TS9 -> TS808 (Silver) -> Analog Delay (DM2) -> Neo Mini Vent -> Fender SF DR.

Sorry if it's off topic, and it's neither right nor wrong, but I think Tone Benders sound best as the very first pedal in the chain just about 100% of the time. Then I'd put the comp towards the front where it'll compress the signal and not just add noise. The other thing you could do is put your vibe after your Tube Screamers. Since vibe is similar to phase, you could get a before-OD and after-OD phase/vibe sound that way.

Of course, the obvious placement if you're already happy with your order is to put the Pi Phase between the Tube Screamers. Then you'll have the best of both worlds

7. dcbc

dcbc Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Might be time to sit down and really play with things. The Sun bender is relatively new and I've been playing with it off the board a lot to get used to it. We'll see how it plays with the rest of the gang soon.

8. dcbc

dcbc Member

Just got my Pi-Phase. Plugged it straight into the amp for starters. What a tremendously lush sounding pedal. Pretty blown away right now and looking forward to getting to know the settings a lot better.

9. dcbc

dcbc Member

This is what I'm working with at the moment. Moved the Sunbender to the front and am running the Pi-Phase right after the Vibe, before the ODs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015