Bias - Best way to use it live

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by giacomo, Mar 12, 2015.

1. giacomo

giacomo Member

Hi there,

What is the easiest way to use the ipad with BIAS live in small venues? Say I would like to use it instead of my marshall combo

What shall I buy? all I have at the moment is guitar ipad and the app

1) guitar interface?
    2) foot controller?
    3) which speaker? FRFR?

thanks!

2. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I use the Apogee Jam 96k with mine and have zero latency.

3. giacomo

giacomo Member

Thanks, but how do you change presets? Are you going straight to PA?

4. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Sorry, I can only help you with the interface. I use Bias pretty much exclusively at the moment but only at home so have no idea about a foot controller or FRFR...

5. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

I don't play this live, but I use the ik multimedia Blueboard, which uses Bluetooth to change presets and turn effects off and on. I use it on occasion with jamup/bias combination , and other iPad software and it works fine.

It's very light and can move around, so you might look at something to hold it down on a pedal board or something like that. It looks like a toy, but it's constructed better than it looks.

Positive grid (makers of bias ) had announced they were working on a foot controller , and it looked solid, with metallic foot switches, etc, but I have not heard anymore about it.and it has been a long time since that was discussed.

I use it at home with a line 6 sonic port interface, which works well and have no problems with it.

The sonic port has a line out which I connect to a pair of Adam 7x , but again, for home use. But you can go right out to the pa, or to a mixer first, then out to the PA , whatever your configuration is. Because I like two speakers, I go out to another interface, only to grab two cables out, for for each speaker... but if you have a mixer, you can just do it that way if needed.

I think there are a few people on here that use it live, or have used it live. Maybe they will chime in

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

First off, make sure you have the newest iDevice you can get. iPad 2's will work with Jamup/Bias, but gave me fits on the gig with lockups and latency. I've heard the iPad Air's work much better.

It also pays to think through what you want your footswitch to do. You basically have two options; use a 4 button bluetooth switch with limited functionality, or go through the pain of integrating a midi footswitch through a camera port. I did both methods and wasn't really happy with either.

Please also use an interface that works through the charging port, not the headphone jack. The headphone jack interfaces all have significant amounts of white noise and the cheaper ones can have feedback issues (its the reason all of these apps have prominent noise gates). The charging port units have very little noise, but then that ties up where you can plug in a camera port for a midi footswitch with more buttons.

Once someone comes up with a good bluetooth footswitch with 8-10 buttons and some CC's, the Jamup/Bias/iDevice solution will get much better.

And don't forget you will probably want the iDevice at eye level, but the interface will be plugged into the charging port. You will have to be able to dress the cabling so the interface isn't pulled out of the iDevice during the gig by your guitar cable or cable to FOH.

7. giacomo

giacomo Member

Thanks!
    Basically it seems like the blueboard is the only footswith available at the moment?

8. giacomo

giacomo Member

9. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I'm not sure how helpful this will be to OP, but I just wanted to throw out my "invention" for other Bias/JamUp users.

I built a "pedalboard" for my iRig HD interface. I kept finding it sliding off of the table if I ever so slightly tugged the guitar cable. So I was having to basically tie it down to the back of the iPad stand. Plus the lighting connector cable was longer than needed. So I made this wee lil "pedalboard" out of some wood, velcro, zip tie mounting bracket, & tiny rubber feet. BOOM! now it stays in place and is super quick and easy to set up/break down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mojah

mojah Member

You can do midi over wireless instead of bluetooth. There is hardware for both on Amazon. I was searching the other day. Just make sure it will do cc and PC's not just notes.