Bias Fender Amplfier Myself Easy Yes? No? Help the Dummy?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rcboals, Jun 14, 2008.

1. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

I have a 1966 Fender Twin and a 1966 Pro Reverb and would like to change tubes and experiment a little with different ones. Taking it to the tech everytime is expensive and a pain in the butt for what seems to take him less than 5 minutes to do. Is biasing this type of amp very hard? Is there anywhere that has simple easy to follow instructions so I can do it myself? What do I need and how much money do I need to spend to get the right tools for the job? Help and advice appreciated. Thanks Guys. I love this forum.

2. booj

booj Member

It's not hard. It just takes the right equipment and some knowhow about dealing with high voltage, along with knowing how to get the tubes to work properly with the particular amps.
    It's understandable that you don't want to pay what..$25 a pop just to try a different set of tubes in the same amp so the guy can look at a meter and turn a pot.
    My advice is to do a little schmoozing with the amp tech. and see if he'd like to help you out with your quandry.
    Maybe set up an "experiment session" for the same price as a regualr biasing. The logic being that as long as you've got the amp on the bench, why not try this?
    I was allways willing to help somebody out when I worked at a music store as long as they were nice to me.

3. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Get a bias meter and do it your self its easy with the Fenders you have,you dont have to pull the chassie out so it is safer for you,Alessendro bias tester is a great one.

4. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

For sure, its a great investment to purchase a Bias rite or equivelant. you wont regret it.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +1000. Any decent bias meter will do.

6. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

Well what do you know? It is stupid simple on my two Fender amps. I got a single Bias Probe from Eurotubes watched the video and it worked just as advertised. I just sold the single probe and got the Weber Bias Rite. Now I can bias two or four tubes check the plate voltage and not have to power down or wear a glove.

7. teleman55

teleman55 Member

+1 on the bias rite. Then just stick your screwdriver in that little thing on the chassis that looks like a guitar cord jack.