Bias & Jamup - how to use it live (with presets)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by giacomo, May 7, 2016.

1. giacomo

giacomo Member

Hi there,

I'm currently using a Cornford + huge pedalboard live. After hearing some demos online I've been thinking about trying using Jamup&Bias for small venues.

Any experience with this? I have a few points which aren't clear after reading some dozens of posts

- Is the latency good enough for live use?
    - Which is the best use - directly to PA or still through a clean tube amp?
    - Audio Interface & Preset Switching - I would like to use the lightning port for both instead of using the audio jack-out. Is there any devide that can handle it all? I mean good audio with low latency and preset switching

I've found Alesis iO Dock - Focusrite iTrack - Behringer is202, but those have no integrated switching system. I've found also Digitech GNX3000 but did not really understand if if switches presets

thanks!!

2. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

It been done; but here @ TGP we're all bout the expensive dedicated hardware. So, in before Helix, Kemper, Fractal.

rmg471 likes this.
  3. giacomo

giacomo Member

Lol, if it helps I also had the first are fx some years ago!!

4. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

- Is the latency good enough for live use? If you have a modern iDevice with a lightning port, it should be fast enough. The iDevices with the older IO connector, or any with that class processor, are definitely too slow.

- Which is the best use - directly to PA or still through a clean tube amp? Direct to PA is good. I never tried Jamup/Bias direct to a tube amp.

- Audio Interface & Preset Switching - I would like to use the lightning port for both instead of using the audio jack-out. Is there any devide that can handle it all? I mean good audio with low latency and preset switching. You might want to look into one of the bluetooth footswitches, those work well with the lightning audio interfaces, but it limits you to only 4 buttons. I found this too limiting, but was eventually able to integrate a midi footswitch with Jamup for live use, but that iPad 2 based rig was unusable live for a number of other reasons (unreliability, latency).

Also keep in mind that (at least the last time I checked) Jamup has some serious limitations with integrating external switching with onboard effects. The main thing is that effects switching is selected per effects category, not per effect, so that if you want to use two effects in the same category (such as wah and chorus), you cannot switch each one on and off separately. It would be wise to carefully consider your live needs and if Jamup/Bias can provide them with the currently available hardware before you start making purchases, especially since you are used to a large live pedalboard.

Bobby D likes this.
  5. giacomo

giacomo Member

Thanks, first time I hear this point, i might look into having a mix of analog / digital pedals then

Any other idea on Audio interface with preset switching?

6. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

7. giacomo

giacomo Member

8. giacomo

giacomo Member

9. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

10. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

I've used JamUp, Bias, BiasFX, and have now switched mostly to Tonestack. While I found that while the PG stuff sounds good, Tonestack simply plays better with my setup (iPad mini/ Griffin StudioConnect). Very low, almost unnoticeable latency with the right settings.

I've yet to use it at a gig, but regularly run it to a powered PA speaker for rehearsals. Sounds decent enough once I dialed in a few presets.

giacomo likes this.
  11. giacomo

giacomo Member