BIAS Pro? Amp Matching?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rsm, Jan 25, 2015.

1. rsm

rsm Member

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Check this dude out, he has killer patches that are totaly affordable.

3. Lain

Lain Member

It's not kemper like amp matching. It's more towards EQ matching, i guess.

4. jb2

jb2 Member

I have had bias for just about 2 weeks. I think it's pretty cool tweaking all the parameters. I just gave a go at amp matching the other day. I didn't read any instructions but seemed pretty straight forward. I was lazy and used a recent diy mic on my cab thru a warm tone beast. I thought the results were pretty good. But after matching , I did do a little more tweaking to the set up. U might be able to check them out on the cloud. For clean I uploaded : JB Jtm clean ss, Jb jtm clean 6l6 , JB jtm clean el 34. For gain: JB jtm gain both a ss and a tube version. Hope someone finds these helpful and fun.
    Addendum I used a lp with stock p 90's.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. rsm

rsm Member

interesting to see how the pro version is received...I'll be watching from the sidelines for a bit...

6. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

When I had the full demo I matched another sim that uses IRs and found it usable.

Now I'm wondering if I have 2 instances of Bias in 2 channels of a DAW, with one capturing a match and the second being followed by an IR loader (MixIR, WOS, etc) - both instances running the same BIAS preset, can Bias matching be used to capture the frequency contribution of the IR in the second DAW channel (did anyone understand what I just said?). If this worked then the saved Match could be used on other presets to apply the IR.

It would take some testing with and without BIAS' Cab block set to a cab or bypass. If you were using a Bias cab you can use the Mix control in the Match block to dial in the amount of Match (or in this case IR contribution). When I tested before I found the Mix to be pretty cool. Might be time to try Bias again.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. jb2

jb2 Member

Interesting idea. I matched my jtm with a pultec plug before bias. So think it will match what's feed in. Wondering, are u think of following? Or likely I'm just being stupid. What if u load up one instance bias on the track then feed that to a bus with different bias set up. On the bus bias load some type stereo imager to mess with the field. Then on the bus return mix and adjust bus.

8. jb2

jb2 Member

I think it might be able to be done. One thought I had is to load 2 different bias on 2 separate tracks. Can send to aux to mix or push each left and right. Use 1/4 y cable to insert in track and track 2

9. FRPositiveGrid

FRPositiveGrid Member

Interesting idea! If one of you guys tries it, could you please tell me what kind of results you got?

You can use amp matching also to recreate the sound of existing studio productions. To do that, simply download a "guitar only" track of a specific song and import it to your DAW. Then scan it with Bias Desktop and you get a very similar sounding preset. Here´s the proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJUc8VUY4Q&spfreload=10

If you have any questions, hit me up! :beer

10. tgp100

tgp100 Member

Hi FRPositiveFrid (company staff I assume).
    I really like the Bias amp sim sound/feel and the built in eq tone match feature (= amp match) is very nice without having to create an IR like most are used to.
    I started eq tone matching with the Ozone plugin and voxengo Deconvolver many years back together with the Pod Xt, amps and some amp sims.

Here are some tips since IMHO I think there's room for improvements in Bias since some important instructions are missing for those who want to eq tone match in order to get identical results. Many Bias videos out there verify this.
    The most important part of getting the eq tone match perfect is to first adjust a sound as close to the original and then play EXACTLY like the original source.
    Using a mono source track, only guitar is heard, nothing else. cut the source and your own tracks so they are identical in length.
    Set up the source clip in the DAW, then align your own playing.
    With Ozone plugin in the DAW this is easy, giving identical eq match results.

One of the reasons many can't get an exact result with Bias is that they are not instructed to play exactly like the source with same length, but I also wonder how Bias can align the two sounds and analyze them when they start at random since the sound must be played before pressing the analyzing button in Bias.
    Since the user always will press the play and analyze buttons differently the result will be different.
    IMO it would be great if you could instruct Bias to analyze the two tracks in similar way that Ozone does it. That would make the process more controlled.

It also looks very nice but some areas could be more user friendly IMO. Since Bias desktop is ported from apps, will it get a more DAW friendly design soon, like easy access scroll down preset menus, effects, more cabs & mics, user loadable IR cabs?
    Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  11. jb2

jb2 Member

Overall I think the match function is fairly good. And that's with me just messing with it without looking into any instruction. I'll check the vid. Recently tried a match on a fenderish head build and it seems fairly close. At least enough to record song ideas down in more portable way. Overall as a plug in its youth it's pretty cool especially considering the price.

12. FRPositiveGrid

FRPositiveGrid Member

Thanks a LOT for that detailed answer, I´ll forward it to the team :)
    According The future of Bias Desktop, I can´t tell you too much right now, but we are working on it ;)