Bias-rite or..?

cap47

I have the Weber Bias-Rite and love it. Simple to use and safer than probing. I have used it often and it is a great tool for the job.

DownByLaw

Silver Supporting Member
I use the Compu-Bias. Dead simple to use. Had it checked by Jimmy Somma for accuracy, and he seemed impressed. Said it was on the money.

Patrick

Totally Bored

I used to place 1 ohm 5 watt resistors on my Power tubes and just measured the voltage drop across them with a DMM. Basically the same method as a Bias Rite.

Now I own a Bias Rite. Works great.

Prairie Dawg

+1 for the Compu-Bias, works great, accurate and easy to use.
Lemme see...$200 or so?

I built two bias probes in about half an hour with parts from Hoffman for $22.40. A good serviceable multimeter was thirty bucks and it also tests capacitors and does a lot of other interesting stuff.

I like Ceriatone's external bias test points, and I may incorporate that on one of my amps.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
I built one from leftover wire and tube sockets too. There's a good diagram in Kendrick's first book.

tonyhay

Gold Supporting Member
I use a TAD Bias Master - got it from Mojotone. I know it's more expensive than using a multimeter, etc, but I like the ease of use. It works fine.

CDA

Indigenous Donkey
Well,

If you don't know what you're doing. The meters for musicians are a safe and effective way to get your amp close.

iggs

compubias shows actual wattage of each tube. great customer service too.
That's primarily why I got it ... I can quickly calculate the plate dissipation but it is just so much more convenient to have an instant readout.

donnyjaguar

All these things only do half a job if you ask me. You need to check screen grid resistors when setting the bias hence will have to have the chassis open anyway.

cooljuk

I have the Weber Bias-Rite and love it. Simple to use and safer than probing. I have used it often and it is a great tool for the job.
+1 for the Weber.

Great company to deal with too. If you're thinking, probe/meter or DIY just add the cost of all parts and you're getting much more for your money with the Weber.

PWGuy

Is it necessary to have the plate voltage option on the AMP-HEAD unit? I just bought the meter kit for my PRRI and if I understand it correctly, it will only show the mV range and not plate voltage.

Sorry for the newb question - never done this before but want to make sure I don't buy what I won't need!

Trending Topics