Bias-rite or..?

TimmyP

Looks to me like the Bias-Rite (which I use) is worth the extra money it costs over the amp-head, and is a bargain compared to the Bias Master and Compu-Bias.

Just being able to check all four tubes at the turn of a switch, without swapping, makes it worth the extra money, as it has allowed me to find problems that I might not have otherwise.

twinrider1

Looks to me like the Bias-Rite (which I use) is worth the extra money it costs over the amp-head, and is a bargain compared to the Bias Master and Compu-Bias.

Just being able to check all four tubes at the turn of a switch, without swapping, makes it worth the extra money, as it has allowed me to find problems that I might not have otherwise.
If I had more than one amp that used 4 power tubes, I might have gone with the Bias-Rite.

Another reason I like the AmpHead is that the probes themselves are shorter than on the Bias-Rite. That allows me enough room to test/adjust my tubes without removing the chassis from the cab. Granted, that's only important because this amp has external bias pots. My other amps don't have external bias pots so I have to remove them anyway.

Anywho, plenty of options out there. To the OP.....just get one. It is really nice. I make the analogy that it's like having a car with full dash instruments instead of just warning lights. Even if you never plan to do your own repairs, it's nice to know what's going on under the hood.

Schafrocks

What he means by that is "I'm smarter than you". But most people that go out of their way to make that point... Aren't.

Personally, I use a Bias Rite. They're convenient. I Like to be able to hook up all 4 probes at once, on a 100 watt amp, and switch between reading Current, and voltage on any of the tubes. It makes adjusting amps with individual bias controls for each tube, or amps that have a bias balance adjustment a snap.

Or, maybe I just don't know what I'm doing either.

Jade
Yeah, I know what he meant. I just couldn't let it go because he was insulting a lot of people. I'm no amp tech, but I do have some friends that are. And, there are a lot of people around here that are pretty sharp. I have a basic knowledge and do know how to set the bias on my amp. I've seen the tone of a couple of his posts. Seems he has some kind of business. But, I doubt I would ever take anything of mine to anybody with an attitude like that.

I use the amp-head. It has the switch between voltage and current as well. Although, I with I had bought the bias-rite because it is just more simple to hook everything up and do it all at the same time.

Interestingly enough, how I started doing my own bias is I took my amp to a tech that was really suppose to know his ****. He was local. He set my bias with an osciloscope (or however you spell it). Red plated a brand new set of tubes. Was running way to hot obviously. Thats when I decided to educate myself and do it myself.

Jade, I checked out your website and dig some of the stuff your doing. Very cool.

Schaf

jcs

I've never once encountered a problem using my Bias Rite with the plate volt option.

I sell some of my tube horde from time to time and i insist my buyers absolutely check current draw.

Imo its sad that folks will spend so much dough on an amp and not go the extra step and make certain the current draw is in spec,,,,obviously a bias rite (or similar tool) is the fastest and safest way to check cathode current.

If the amp does not have adjustable bias and the amp is idling too hot and you dont feel safe installing a bigger resistor, then take it to a tech,,,this includes cathode biased amps as well because cathode bias will not self adjust for all tubes.

CDA

Indigenous Donkey
Yeah, I know what he meant. I just couldn't let it go because he was insulting a lot of people.
You felt insulted by what I said.

Do you know what you're doing to accurately calculate and adjust bias voltage for a given equation in a vacuum tube amp?

You say you don't.

So, buy one of these meters.

That was my point.

Good lord.

twinrider1

Ok, I can't be the only one to have just mapquest'd the distance between Sharonville and New Carlisle. :D

:argue

:boxer

:beer

HipKitty

Gold Supporting Member
Build one yourself!

I do have a Bias-Rite that I got from Ted several years ago and it works as it should...the only downside is that the key pin is very fragile compared to my own making (I busted it off very soon after getting it).

Schafrocks

You felt insulted by what I said.

Do you know what you're doing to accurately calculate and adjust bias voltage for a given equation in a vacuum tube amp?

You say you don't.

So, buy one of these meters.

That was my point.

Good lord.
Dude, it's not rocket science. I never said I didn't know how to calculate it. Even if you have one of these tools, you have to do the math. Just by the tone of your post, I thought you had some insightful idea on how to do. But, instead....well forget it. Back to people that would like to have a constructive conversation.

Schaf

I agree, good lord

cap47

I have had mine for a year now and I follow the instructions for plugging and unplugging. So far no broken key. It does look fragile tho!

Trending Topics