1. Chris N

Chris N Guest

Somewhere I remember seeing a device to put between the tube and the socket to do biasing. Basically a socket that fits in the amp's socket, between the tube and amp with leads to measure bias. Does anyone know what company makes this? I can't seem to find it doing a search.

Thanks

2. Gabriel E.

Gabriel E. Guest

3. Chris N

Chris N Guest

That's it. Thanks.

Is this as good as any other method of biasing an amp?

4. THLH

THLH Member

yep, I have the weber bias meter and it is super acurate and easy to use. However, if you have a head, you may need to order the right angle model so the tubes will fit during use. The regular model will work on a combo. Also, you deal with Mr. Weber directly, which is always cool.

5. Chris N

Chris N Guest

Cool, I have a combo and head. That's true there won't be enough clearance on my head for the standard. I will have to give a call and sort out my needs.

Thanks again.

6. blair

blair Member

The Alessandro dual Bias and Matching Meter is an excellent choice too..... http://www.alessandro-products.com

Don't be put off by the list price, it's not the shipped price. They can be had for about a hundred even plus shipping.

Handy gadget to have in your techy arsenol.

Hammer on.......Blair

7. my_shadow22

my_shadow22 Member

All the tools mentioned here are great but I found one on ebay for $13 + shipping from a really great guy who is making them. I've never biased an amp before and this tool was so easy to use I was blown away. You do need to a multimeter to use it. Here is a link to the one I got, read it over and just e-mail him. Copy and paste it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=935042639

After getting this tool my amps have never sounded better! It turns out my Vibrolux Reverb was running around 15mA when the normal range is 30-35. Also I had a pair of 6V6's in an amp that were supposedly matched but were off by 11mA. I put in a new set and it sounds killer.

8. ONEMOREKNOB

ONEMOREKNOB Guest

All the tools mentioned here are great but I found one on ebay for $13 + shipping from a really great guy who is making them. I've never biased an amp before and this tool was so easy to use I was blown away. You do need to a multimeter to use it. Here is a link to the one I got, read it over and just e-mail him. Copy and paste it:

I bought a dual one from the same guy. It came with a box that has the connector's for the multi-meter, and a switch to toggle between 2 tubes. It's a lot easier to tell if you have a matched set by simply throwing the switch verses waiting for the amp to cool, and moving the tester. It was around $50, and worth every nickle! :)