BIFFY CLYRO appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Simto, Jan 28, 2013.

1. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

For the slightly more hook laden faire, you could try Black Chandelier and Biblical from Opposites; Stingin Belle for more kick in your face.

2. Simto

Simto Member

"Stingin' Belle" is one of their best :dude:dude:dude

JS-29 likes this.
  3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Also meant to say that I watched "That Pedal Show" clip yesterday that was posted earlier....Simon just seems to be having so much fun doing what he is doing. The guy didn't start to play guitar until 1997 and they had their first CD out in 2002 so I think what I hear from Puzzle (I don't yet have anything earlier) is the progression of his riffs, structure, composition just keeps improving the longer he has been playing.

4. Simto

Simto Member

If I had 1% of his songwriting and playing skills..... I just can't imagine being able to pump out so much quality music. I mean... even their B side albums are packed with great stuff. Their B-side album "Similarities" has some of my favourite songs on and I struggle with even picking up the guitar these days, let alone finishing a song.

I guess some people are just born with it.

I just hope they'll announce a show in Copenhagen soon :) Their live shows are intense

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Love this thread.
    It's great to have people excited about bands like Biffy when most of the threads are all doom and gloom about guitar music.
    I've waited for years for this forum to catch up.
    ;)
    You don't need a lot of *good* guitar bands, just a few *great* ones like Biffy and the also mentioned MUSE.

Jonny G and ford like this.
  6. Simto

Simto Member

I've been listening to Biffy for a few years now :) Saw them open for Foo Fighters and was hooked ever since. They played "Living's a problem..." and my jaw just hit the floor during that intro. I've actually been listening to them WAY more than Foo Fighters since that show.
    With this site catching up, I think it's just because they're not very known in the states and The Gear Page's demographic is mostly American.

Muse kicks ass too, saw them in Singapore last fall. They just played two shows here in Copenhagen but I was in Tokyo at the time. I hope to see them again.
    I've recently gotten really into their "2nd law" album. I know it was kinda shot down by a lot of people, but man it's got some amazing songs on it!

7. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'd start with Only Revolutions... though.... long ago.... this was the song that made me a big fan... I've been a fan from the USA since 2002 at least...

You can see the Seattle sound that had rubbed off on them at the beginning... but also the songwriting.... the incredibly catchy chorus... three guys singing well together... and the musicianship.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  8. ford

The parts he plays and then sings at the same time..... there is genius musical ability inside his brain... I'm super jealous.

9. ford

Also the riff in this song.... so cool.

10. ford

Also... this live performance of Wolves of Winter from the new album...

seantk likes this.
  11. Simto

Simto Member

Brutal performance! Makes me want to start a riot :)
    Funny how it's become kinda odd if they perform with shirts on. it's almost become their uniform at this point.

Woah, 2002??? How did you discover them in America back then?

"Animal Style" is probably my favourite from the new album. I really like the grittiness and anger in it.
    That's one thing I really love about their music, you can sort of hear desperation in the songs and his vocals. They're tense and they're really giving it their all.

12. ford

I caught the video for 57 on a Canadian music channel on my satellite tv... then I had to get on my dial up internet and find the cd for Blackened Sky. It had not been out long when I got it.

I kept waiting for them to get big in the US.. but the first couple of albums after the first were a bit too weird to get airplay... I know they grew in popularity over there because of their relentless touring and amazing live shows...

They still haven't been to the US much. I've never been able to catch them. My cousin saw them at the hard rock in Las Vegas touring Only Revolutions and there were about 200 people there. He said it was an awesome show.. and crazy how no one knew who they were.

The only songs I've heard on US radio have been Mountains and Many of Horror.

13. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

Their Only Revolutions record was when I started listening to them. I just cannot believe these guys are not more popular in the US. They are a killer band and great to see live.

14. Simto

Simto Member

That's pretty awesome, sounds like it was a stroke of luck you saw that video :) I don't think anybody outside the uk had really heard about them at the time.
    Sorry to hear you haven't seen them live yet, I'm sure they'll be going to the States now though. They usually tour relentlessly for a year or two after an album release. Or you could plan a holiday around one of their shows here in Europe :)

Damn, I'm jelly of that 200 people gig. Last time I saw them live was an oddly small venue here in Copenhagen compared to what they normally play here. But I thought it was awesome, I like being in a more intimate venue. They ****ing killed it!

By the way, I've listened to that "Wolves of winter" performance you posted a few times now, that bass tone is ****ing MASSIVE!!! I've never been able to record or get a bass tone I really like but I hope to get a bass tone close to that for my own music. It's probably one of my favourite bass tones I've heard next to Ben Kenney's
    As far as I know, James uses some pretty basic gear. Just a couple of pedals and some Ashdown stacks. But holy ****... the tone is this performance!

Sorry if I seem like a major fanboy hehe, this band brings out the 13 year old girl in me.

Yeah, I don't get why they're not at Muse level popularity in the States considering they're kinda in the same ballpark genre/style wise. I think all their fans want that for them, but to be honest, I don't think they really care about that. I think they're genuinly happy somebody still wants to listen to them, seven albums in, and they could be playing a stadium or in front of ten people and they would still kill it :dude

Damnit they better announce a show in Copenhagen soon! :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  15. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Well, due to this thread, I've now become a really big fan of theirs. Knew about them through That Pedal Show, just didn't really give it a good listen when that rig rundown was posted.

ford likes this.
  16. Simto

Simto Member

drjenkins likes this.
  17. Simto

Simto Member

My mates and I just got tickets for their show in Copenhagen November 3rd!!! Get hype!!!

18. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

I just got turned on to these guys a week or so ago. I sold!!! I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of their music. Very prolific. How did I not hear about them before now? I just ordered Ellipsis and can't wait for it to come in. I'm trying to buy all of my music now on CD's instead of itunes downloads. Just shows you what kind of shape the music "industry" is in. May be for the better in some ways but for all of the evil of the big record companies they new when they had something good and were promoting machines. There's no way a band this badass would not have been a household name (PR guy would have probably made them drop the stupid awkward band name) 30 years ago. Most massive strat tone I've ever heard.

ChazMania likes this.
  19. Simto

Simto Member

I think they're legit the best contemporary rock band of the last 10 years. I just love the fact that their music is interesting to listen to and has a lot of layers, nuances and shifting styles but at the same time they just have some huge sing along arena rock songs

And come on, the name isn't that bad :) It sounds silly but I mean come on lol :)

20. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

I love Biffy Clyro...Just been revisiting their Similarities album...great stuff.