• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Big age gaps between band members vs being a similar age? What's your view?

Muddy100

It might be more of a culture/scheduling issue.
Age seldom comes into play with dudes that are 10-15 years apart, but with similar family obligations (kids around the same age).
But...a high school student has different commitments/schedule than a parent of young kids with weekend sports, or a retired guy with nothing but time and enthusiasm...but a penchant for early nights. A single parent would have a completely different level of commitment than a single parent with joint custody.

TopJimmy5150

One band I had had a 50+ singer, 40+ guitar player (me), and two 20 year olds on bass and drums. It was a really great band. The 20 year olds kept us young, their friends came to our gigs. Very fun.

My trio had a late 40s guitarist, an early 40's bass player and a 20 something drummer. We were a pretty good band that played with a high level of musicianship, but nobody cared

Bankston

In my original band, the drummer and I are both 51 chronologically. The bass player is in his late 30's. The singer and other guitarist is our drummer's 19 year old son. The older guys have decent "rock" looks on stage. We've had no issues.

chrisr777

I'm 25 years older than anyone else in my band. It works.

Axiom.jpg

Yer Blues

Unless you're trying to be a pop act.... who cares? Until 5-6 years ago I was mostly in bands with people older than me and even recently one musician who is 30 years older (our parents age!) than the rest of us. It leads to great jokes like "he's the only one with a license to drive us to gigs" or "we had to let our dad join the band"...... well they're funny to me after a few drinks.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
For bands I’m in the band image and stage show is important to me. I like the band to look like an arena rock act. If someone is a lot older or younger than others it tends to kill that image. YMMV.

Dashface

I think it matters most when you’re young and playing originals and trying to “‘make it”.

Once you’re playing covers it doesn’t matter too much. In my Floyd act our youngest member is 27 and oldest is 51, but we all look mostly the same age and it’s real dark in there :D In my bar/events band I’m the youngest at 38, our singer is 41, drummer 51, and bassist 64. Nobody seems to mind much.

j_el_jee

Silver Supporting Member
I think it matters most when you’re young and playing originals and trying to “‘make it”.
Agree.

Although...my band is playing originals, but we all have careers & families, so nobody has illusions of "making it", touring, etc. The genre probably matters to some extent as well, we'd be lumped into the punk/metal category where there are already established bands with age disparities that don't seem to be an issue with fans.

We get along great, one of the best bands I've been in. The guys in my band are mid 30's, and I'm 48... and they won't let me forget that lol. But I write the songs that make the whole band cry.

Last edited:

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
In my many years of banding, generally speaking, I found what works the best in that scenario is when everyone is somewhat in the same chapter in the book of life.

I know myself how my view of life has changed as I work my way through it and I know what its like to be 20, but a 20 year old doesn't know what its like to be say 50. It's kind of a maturity factor but, then again, some haven't grown up in their 30's;). Anyhow, I've generally had better luck in a band scenario with people around my age or older that those who were much younger.

Sometimes it can work though...just playing the averages, but I remember being in my 20's and playing music with old fogies was the last thing I wanted to do!

Ozzie31220

I say try it out. Plus, it’s an opportunity to mentor a young musician with some old school wisdom/taste. There’s a chance they may broaden your aperture too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom