Big box dmm or m9 or skreddy echo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by duanesworld, Dec 24, 2009.

1. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

thinking about getting one of these, is it worth the extra money for skreddy, or if I can get the m9 or dmm for under 300, which would you get. THanks

2. vetlevg

vetlevg Member

3. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

DMM and Skreddy are different flavors. There's a huge thread on a guy deciding to pick one, he said he couldnt pick one over another. But if your getting the M9 just for analog delay... well dont do it.

4. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

I have a old DMM and a Skreddy Echo, they are pretty different, love them both.
    That said the Skreddy rulez.......Best pedal I own, and I have quite a few.

5. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

Skreddy is a faveorite here. That being said, the m9 has great delays, and the old dmms are always pretty good choice. I dont think you could go wrong with any of them. I feel like i use my m9 more than my skreddy echo, just because its stereo, and its got a tap tempo

6. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

M9 -- simply because it sounds great, and also has PLENTY of other cool effects too.....

7. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

well thanks, and that narrowed it down.......to 3.

8. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

9. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

10. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

+1 on big box DMM...

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

No disrespect intended for anyone here on TGP:

If you want to have a beautiful pic for the "post your board" thread , go and buy the more expensive delay you can find out there (i mean a stompbox)

If you really care for the sound, the tone, get the DMM

12. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

thanks mac. I know alot of people say that the skreddy has a great tape echo sound, But I am looking for a echoplex sound like clapton had when he was playin with Albert lee. More echoplex sound less roland space echo.

13. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

I've spent a lot of time with my AM DMM, Skrecho, TF, M9, DM2, and AD900. Of all, my "hands down" favorite is 100% the Skrecho. I use the M9 and TF quite a bit as they offer so much variety. However, when I'm playing and creating for myself...the Skrecho is my go to. It's just incredibly musical, to my ears, and has great feel. Can dial in soupy-clear big lead sounds. I love the different types of warble I can get. The DMM is very nice, but it's just too big to warrant a spot on my board. If i felt the DMM was heads and shoulders above the rest I'd make the room...it's just not (IMO). Great pedal, but not my favorite.

The guy who thinks an exspensive delay is an ornament meant to impress others (I know he said "no disrect" and none at all taken...but it's just a poor basis for deciding between the given pedals and not very constructive or objective...) sounds like someone with a gripe rather than someone who has real input from hands on experience with the selected choices. I could care less about cost or making a pretty board. I love delay and simply find it very inspirational. This has pushed me to try a good deal of delays available. IMO, you really need to decide first on whether you want a multi-type delay or a single delay unit. This will really narrow it down for you. Do you need tap tempo? Stereo? Midi? Presets? Limited available space? Power Supplies? It's pretty hard to compare the M9/TF to the DMM/Skrecho. Hopefully answering some of the above questions I've listed will help you narrow down the selection a little further. From there if you decide on the M9, you can likely pick one up at GC to try out with the ability to return it. If the DMM/Skrecho, you can sell a Skrecho for what you pay for it in no time...which also allows you to test drive one. Anyways...that's my two cents.

Enjoy the journey :)...all very good choices.

14. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

Thanks, very helpful....mike

15. 100JH

100JH Member

If you get the DMM sent it straight to Howard Davis to mod it...

16. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Who does a better mod Howard or AnalogMan? I'm guessing Howard since he made the DMM...

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Nah, no gripe here!
    I have some very expensive pedals (because i liked them), just that the DMM gave me the sound the others could not.
    My other delay is a DBD and the other one was a Replica.

I have had others but i won't mention them here and played most of the ones talked on this board.
    I also have a Skreddy on my board that fits the bill.

Again, no disrespect, i still think none of the ones talked here touch the DMM.

18. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

I hear ya Mac. It's just the whole "expensive pedal thing for posting pics" isn't very constructive and it kind of dismisses the Skrecho as not being or having legitamate strengths in said catagories, but is rather an overpriced hype machine. Tone is so extremely subjective which is why I tried to list a set of questions that would best seperate the pedals up for consideration and do not deal with subjective categories. Otherwise the OP's question will certainly turn into an opinion gallery of said delays...which may not really aid in him making a solid decision that best fits his needs.

Again, no hard feelings at all. Just "the sound" may not be the sound if ya know what I mean :).

Cheers!

19. greenlander

greenlander Member

Actually, try using it for awhile to see how you like it. Then, send a message to Howard for a list of his mods. If anything on the list matches something you'd find useful for YOUR particular needs or addresses a shortcoming you've discovered, then by all means go ahead and send it to him.

But the idea that it needs to be modded right out of the box is going overboard IMO. Mine is completely stock and sounds perfect. No mods needed.

20. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

picked up a dmm at sam ash. we shall see.thanks for the advice.