Big box Fuzz Face being killed off?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phase45child, May 9, 2016.

1. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

I went to Leeds the other day to go pedal shopping and didn't see a single big Fuzz Face in any of the pedal cabinets. Has Dunlop stopped making them or are they in the process of phasing them out?

Every shop was filled with those horrible small versions, and the mini Crybabies too (barf).

If they plan to scrap the production of big Fuzz Faces I'm going to be disappointed to say the least.

abnerfm likes this.
  2. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

they make a mini version that sounds like the biguns, right?

before the minis came out the current biggun was the terrible one bc the old ones sounded better. i guess now theyre the better old ones.

Jet Age Eric and cj_wattage like this.
  3. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

Theoretically,if the new mini ones sounds as good as the older big box versions, then why are you unhappy.

The big box ones look cool, but they are realestate nightmare. They take up an absurd amount of pedal board space.

4. rummy

rummy Member

What was so horrible about the small versions?

5. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

They're not phasing them out, but the board friendly mini's are really popular. I'm with you, I like the large, round enclosures, and FULL size wah's...

6. buzzp

buzzp Member

Yeah, the other guitar play in my band plays with a mini wah and I feel like it's gotta be harder to control, right?

7. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

OP: do you not want to buy used pedals? It seems like you can hundreds of them used-- is it that you want to try them out?

8. IRG

IRG Member

This. Plus they aren't 9v adapter ready, and the inputs and outputs are reversed, which may be how the ORIGINAL ones were made, but come on already. New ones aren't vintage! Thankfully the minis have addressed all of this, and make a lot more sense. Same circuits, and I'm sure some will sound better than others, always the way it's been. But clearly Dunlop sells a lot more of the Minis now, it costs them significantly less to produce (guessing here, but how could it not?), and this is what the customer wants now. Or most of them, outside of TGP maybe :)

rummy likes this.
  9. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

They are widely available in every shop that I know of!?

Anyway I like the idea of staying true to the original. No power supply input, reversed input jacks, oldschool pcb. Oh and I love big pedal enclosures...

10. goodglynes

goodglynes Member

what the fuck is a pedal board?

armbone, MrMoose, headpond and 5 others like this.
  11. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

If you're talking about the Crybaby Mini, it's not harder to control.
    Just no range and depth to the wah in any of the 3 modes.

Phase45child and buzzp like this.
  12. rummy

rummy Member

Jacks being swapped bothers me the most! Now only if Dunlop would make a mini Eric Johnson fuzz, I'd be all over that.

Memphistokid and IRG like this.
  13. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

To answer all the questions in no particular order:

a) Yes I'll buy used pedals but I like that Dunlop got on a roll with signature Fuzz Faces but seem to have stopped; it'd be a shame to see them disappear.
    b) I'm not interested in the sound of the new ones. This is purely aesthetic. I don't like the look of the little ones so I won't buy them. A Fuzz Face is the same to me in sound no matter who makes it, I just want it to look like a real one. A Cadillac and a Potato crate on wheels will both get you from a to b, but sometimes looks are important.
    c) The mini craze annoys me because people crow on about things like real estate and lack of space etc, things that didn't exist until somebody in an office decided they did and had to be dealt with. Ignore what you're told - your rig does not require a downsizing - just use fewer pedals or build a bigger board. Yes, I am talking to you, Mr. 7 shades of overdrive and 3 separate delays to play songs in church on a Sunday. TO HELL with saving space, I am a 90s kid who loves big box EHX, normal size wahs, enormous Fuzz Faces and big **** off Tone Benders. You're ruining my fun with your toddler sized fuzz boxes and I will not stand for it.
    d) maybe it's an English thing that I can't find them in the shops over here anymore.

14. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

Geez, you want cheese with that whine.

Jet Age Eric, Texas_Blues and rummy like this.
  15. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

No thank you, your reply has provided more than enough.

16. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

17. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Member

Of course the English would like mini stuff. Look at your history in automobiles. :eek:

18. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Member

Seriously though, I prefer the big toys - just throw them on the floor and enjoy. However, I can totally see why mini stuff has become more popular for board convenience.

19. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

It is known.

20. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

You should rehouse a fuzz face into a metal garbage can lid.

Phase45child likes this.