• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BIG DAY: I just orderd another Cp Thornton Legend Special

jaystrings

After owning almost 200 guitars in the last 41 years, my Cp Thornton Legend Special has become my all-time #1 Favorite. The most toneful, versatile, playable, balanced, well designed, comfortable, inspiring guitar of them all. I simply cannot pass it without a fondle & can't seem to put it down when playing.

Today I decided to sell my beloved Collings 290 to a friend & placed an order for another Legend Special. The new one will have P90s instead of the wonderful minibuckers, will have a glossy natural finish on top instead of the burgandy matted finish, & will have a rare quilted mahogany top instead of the usual mahogany. Now the long 4-month wait begins.....

Any other Cp Thornton or CpT Legend Special worshipers out there?

Last edited:

Jgerag

That is definitely another beauty! It makes me and others get ready to plan for one like it, too. The feel of those Legends is incredible and the sound of those pickups you chose will be an additional variety on yours, for sure.

jaystrings

It makes me and others get ready to plan for one like it, too.

John, I can hear your GAS wheels turning!! I know you can't imagine any model being more impressive than a CpT Classic. Well, last year I would have agreed with you. But this is another step up in innovation. I'm sure there are some builders out there that turn out perfect guitars just like Chuck does. But the real separator between his & all the others over my 41 years is his innovation. Right out of the box, this baby felt like a guitar I'd been playing all those years. It was SO unbelievably comfortable & familiar.... then the tone dialing started & I've been in awe ever since. You will see. You will see. You WILL own one of the one day.

lilkuku

Silver Supporting Member
The Legend Special is my favorite of Chuck's guitars. We'll have to talk about getting my hands on one, one of these days!

jaystrings

one good deed begets another! glad you sold the collings!

It was not an easy decision to give up the Collings 290 - they are fantastic guitars. I would have kept it if I weren't ordering another CpT Legend Special with similar specs. The buyer of the 290 was ecstatic. It sure takes the sting out of letting a grand guitar go when it lands in the hands of someone who is lusting for it. He's thrilled, Chuck's thrilled, & I'm thrilled. It all worked out to be a win, win, win.

Ches

I bet the P90's will be fantastic. Can't wait to see pics of the quilted hog top.

The LS made me a total Chuck-a-holic. I can't put it down. Since getting that guitar, all but one of my Gibson's are gone and have been replaced with the LS and a Legend. If my last Gibson (a sweet SG) and my G&L ASAT get sold, I'm going to replace them with another CpT - probably a Fusion or HTL.

I sold my 335, and if that didn't have to pay my heart surgery deductible, I'd have another CpT on the way. It was a tough choice between heart surgery or a CpT Professional! :)

jaystrings

Your ASAT & SG will certainly sell. They are both wonderful guitars. I'm with you on the CpT Legend Special - I cannot imagine any guitar player not flipping out over that baby. I started falling in like with mine right out of the box, & within it's first month it had become my favorite Chuck Thornton guitar. By the end of the second month & after logging more time with it than any new guitar I've ever owned, it has become my all-time favorite guitar. I love the minibuckers & the feel so much that I just had another version with P90s. It will have basically the same specs as the wonderful Collings 290 that I had to give up to order it. I had no idea I'd love those minibuckers on the LS so much, but I know I'll love the P90s on the new one. I loved the tone of the Collings 290.

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Four months isn't too bad at all! Candidly, with Chuck's innovative quality, I'm surprised it isn't much longer.

Need more photos! I am sooooo gasing for a CPT build. Probably start with the Professional (as I don't have a semi or hollow body), then, hopefully, a Legend. Need to finish paying for my Ian A. build, first, so hopefully, by early next year?

Tell me, do you go directly to Chuck, or deal with DAG?

jaystrings

Four months isn't too bad at all! Candidly, with Chuck's innovative quality, I'm surprised it isn't much longer.

Need more photos! I am sooooo gasing for a CPT build. Probably start with the Professional (as I don't have a semi or hollow body), then, hopefully, a Legend. Need to finish paying for my Ian A. build, first, so hopefully, by early next year?

Tell me, do you go directly to Chuck, or deal with DAG?
Sometimes it's longer than 4 months - it all depends on how soon he starts another batch after you place your order. I'd say my average wait has been at 6 - 8 months from placement during the last 5 years. The one that took the longest was my Improv. It was about 1 1/2 years from the time we talked thru the entire design of the first of that model. Then he went to work designing prototypes; testing pickups; trying different string brands & gauges; & doing a whole lot of electronic & human testing for the optimal size, woods, & materials for "that perfect hollowbody tone." The result was the best jazzbox I've ever played. I put the D'Angelico on the block after hearing this baby.

I deal directly with Chuck; always have. I like it that anyone in the world can call him & speak WITH HIM. He's a one man show; he does it all, including answer the phone. He can talk options WAY beyond what are shown on his website, and he enjoys doing it. I'd say he has swayed me away from about 1/2 of my inclinations & towards the other half. I truly appreciate talking with a master builder who won't let me go down a road that leads to something with HIS name on it that isn't world class. I've dealt with others, but no one "gets it" like Chuck. He is truly all about my 100% Delight with his work. There will soon be 14 people in this world who own 7 or more of his masterpieces. Now, THAT's impressive.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

Need more photos? That's my Improv on the front page of his website. Each model is loaded with images of the pieces he has built. Although I have all his models, I would never have suspected that the Legend Special would emerge as my overall favorite. And the Improv & Classic are very close behind it. I have tons of images of my own for each CpT I own. I'm happy to post more or send them.

Last edited:

Marty Grass

Here's my two cents.

I, too, am a Thornton fan and got my fourth today. So I know that you won't go wrong with whatever you choose in a pickup.

I would consider having it routed for a humbucker and trying Fralin's P92s. Yes, it's heresy. But I no longer use the traditional P90s (Lollars being my choice) and love the dead silence of the P92s. If you want growl, ask Lindy to wrap them with 10K winds.

If you change your mind later you can easily swap pups. It's not so easy with dog ears or soap bars.

jaystrings

Here's my two cents.

I, too, am a Thornton fan and got my fourth today. So I know that you won't go wrong with whatever you choose in a pickup.

Hey, big Congrats on #4!! You're going down a fun - but - dangerous road that leads to Chuck's house. It was on #4 that I got so hooked that I have ordered 2 or 3/year ever since. And perhaps THE biggest reason is what you said: "You won't go wrong with whatever you choose in a pickup". I would just extend that to include all materials in a CpT.

I guess perfection is perfection, & I'm sure that he isn't the only one out there building world class guitars. But he DOES only build guitars with pickups, wood, strings, controls, frets, bridges, etc that make him proud to put his name on each guitar. He has talked me out of a couple of pickup & wood choices along the way & I think that is why I've been so happy with the final product. I shouldn't be so surprised any more, but I still am.

Glad you got yours; mine should be here soon.

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
I've had some extensive 'conversations' with Chuck as he explained his neck system via email, and really appreciate that type of information. Also, though I've on my first build of this type, find that I really enjoy the direct interchange of thoughts on a build.

Thanks for posting. I am so in lust for his Professional, followed closely by the Legend. Though I am on the fence between a Grosh DG-193 (excellent guitar, BTW) and the Professional. One of them will be my next build after the Ian A.

YES, I WILL OWN ONE SOMEDAY! (In a way,I'm kinda sorry I didn't pull the plug on the Suhr set neck..., or I'd have an order in now.)

Last edited:

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

Need more photos? That's my Improv on the front page of his website. Each model is loaded with images of the pieces he has built. Although I have all his models, I would never have suspected that the Legend Special would emerge as my overall favorite. And the Improv & Classic are very close behind it. I have tons of images of my own for each CpT I own. I'm happy to post more or send them.

Thanks for posting. I've spent hours on Chuck's site, already...

Ches

I am so in lust for his Professional, followed closely by the Legend.

I'm right there with you concerning the Professional. If I get another (and I hope I do) it'll be a Pro. I just made arrangements to bring in my third CpT, a Fusion. I'll have to put together a group shot of the Fusion with my LS and Legend. Best guitars I've ever owned.

Pic update:
This is about the best I can do on a rainy Michigan evening. I need some of that South Carolina sunshine and a bit more talent behind the camera to get better shots! The bookends (the LS and Legend) are mine. The Fusion in the middle is about to join the herd.

(Edited to include a better picture, and yep, it's raining here again today.)
100_3097.jpg

Last edited:

Ches

You've got the waterfront covered now. All you really need at this point is a custom made guitar strap for that alluring lady in the middle. Whew!! Does she add to the beauty of a CpT wonderland.

Actually, I've got one on order! It's going to be pretty unique and I'll probably use it with all 3 when I gig. A Jeri Hart strap and a CpT guitar. Doesn't get any better than that!

jaystrings

Except of course, a Chantal Cordey strap and a CpT guitar! :dude

Hey, man. I didn't know that was you. Hope all is well wherever in the world you are these days! It looks like you & I have VERY similar taste in amp brands, CpT guitars, & Chantel's craft in straps. Mine is smaller than yours with a few different patterns, but with the same kind of leathers.

IMG_0320.jpg

Get in touch soon.

Jay

s2y

Welp, this is a timely thread.

I'm planning on ordering a CP Thornton semi-hollow with Lollar Charlie Christian pickups. I had hoped to be ordering a hollowbody with the pickups, but it turned out that the pickups were a little too wide for his bracing.

Any thoughts/feedback? Chuck has been extremely helpful so far, just looking for feedback or ideas.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom