Big decision: Elmwood vs Matamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ljdsam, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

Got a conundrum.

Gonna get my first valve amp, and got just over £1300 to spend (maybe more at a push).

On the one hand, I could go for an Elmwood Modena 60, which does everything I want on paper, but I've only heard on youtube, or from recommendations.

On the other, I live within an hour's drive of Matamp, who claim they can make a variant of the 1224 with an extra gain stage, so I can go from clean to crunch to hard rock just with the footpedal (much like the Elmwood), and possibly 2 master volumes.

Slightly cheaper (around £1200).

What do folks reckon?

2. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

I'm after something not too high volume, so nothing 100w - more in the 50w or less range, so choice drops off drastically.

The Elmwood can do 30w, and the 1224 anything from about 7-50w, so from that point of view both would be good.

I did try a 1224 at the factory, but even with both gain and overdrive on full, it didn't quite have enough gain for me. But modded, who knows?

Nice problem to have, anyway!

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Get the Elmwood. You KNOW it will get the tone you are looking for. I've heard good things about the Matamp folks, so I don't think you can go wrong there, but I would stick with what you're sure of...

EP

4. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Try a Matamp LX. Two master volumes. Higher gain than a 1224. 60watts sounds good in my basement. It's not a bedroom amp, get the 4watt Little Rock for that.
    Someone has a Blue LX for sale, I think it's in France. I saw it on eBay and then it popped over on the Matamp board . Alo ask over there they will give you some information.

I would listen to either before buying to make sure otherwise buy used to avoid the big depreciation if you need to sell because the tone is not what you want. The Elmwood get's good reviews also.

5. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

Hadn't thought of a LX.

As long as it can go from clean to crunch to high gain using just the footswitch, I'll be happy (subject to tone, of course!).
    I want enough gain to reach or slightly exceed hot-rodded JCM800 levels, if that makes sense. Then I can back off if necessary.

Matamp's standard answer seems to be "we can do that", but I guess it's a gamble - they probably don't know what it'll sound like!
    If I could find a used Elmwood I'd be there - they never seem to come up, certainly not this side of the water.

6. airjamie

airjamie Member

I was a matamp player for over 7 years andcansay nothing but good things about the company and its products. Shame what happened withthe distrobution in the US...

7. scott1568

scott1568 Member

What did happen with that?

8. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

I think they had problems with cancelled orders, and they got scared by the demise of Warwick (which was largely due to a huge order to the US being cancelled when it was actually on the boat), so decided not to deal with retailers if at all possible.

9. The Green Monst

The Green Monst Member

If you are who I think you are, you should know my recommendation. I took the plunge on the Elmwood also and LOVE the amp. BTW, I'd check the prices on the M60, they seem just too low (retail is about 2600 Euro)

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

My elmwood m90 sounds awesome at low volumes, dont be put off by wattage. Go for tone and responsiveness to playing.

11. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

I have a Modena 60 currently up for sale on e-bay (these are rare in the UK) and it's in your price range if you are interested?:BEER

12. sled

sled Member

yes it does

13. joshsage

joshsage Member

I know many people on the elmwood who couldn't be any happier!
    Josh

14. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

Thanks fellas.

Gone for the Elmwood, just placed the order last night.

Strange - got a better price from a Greek dealership than direct from the factory.
    Although it's getting shipped from the factory.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.