big, dumb question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by try as i might, Dec 15, 2009.

1. try as i might

try as i might Member

I recently came into possession with a wonderful 1970 Dual Showman reverb. I had run a simple instrument cable between the head and the cab with no issue. Today, based on someone's advice, I picked up a speaker cable (live wire 12 gauge). I plugged it in correctly, but no sound after maybe 20 seconds. The amp normally was audible before that time period with the instrument cable. I turned it off in fear of damaging the head. Is that speaker cable not intended to connect a head to the cab?

Sorry for the newbie question, but please sling some advice my way! Thanks!!

2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

prove continuity(vom) in the speaker cable. tip-to-tip, sleeve-to-sleeve. it may be defective(open).

3. try as i might

try as i might Member

help me out a little. So can I do that with a cable tester, i.e. should that work if simply plug in with my guitar and a solid state? thanks in advance!!

4. try as i might

try as i might Member

Figured it out. i'm good. thanks for the tip QRSS. thanks all!

5. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

i'm not sure what a "cable tester" is. possibly. what i was alluding to was: disconnect the speaker cable and put the red lead from VOM(volt-ohm-meter set to resistance) on one end of the cable's tip. place the black lead on the other end of the cable's tip. your meter should read a short(continuity). some of them beep so you dont have to look.

do the same for the sleeve and prove it's continuity.

maybe your cable tester does this but a multi-meter(vom) is a handy thing to have around the house. especially if you plan on playing guitar for the rest of your life. :beer

6. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

7. try as i might

try as i might Member

VOM is what I was referring to... If you can't tell, for most of my life, I plugged and played into whatever was available. Recently, I've got to a point in my life that I can start playing through good equipment. Obviously, as i open my mouth, I show my ignorance. However, I am learning. This web site has literally increased my understanding (or acknowledged lack thereof) immensely.

Thanks for your advice. Just wait until I start trying to record again for the first time in 15 years. Oh the dumb a#@ questions I will ask!

Seriously,
    Thanks!
    T.A.I.M.