Big fat juicy od pedal for clean tweed deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strattitude, Mar 4, 2008.

1. strattitude

strattitude Member

I have a custom built tweed deluxe clone which is modded for lots of clean headroom plus it can run 6L6's for more power. I have a Weber 12a150F alnico speaker in it.

In the never ending quest for the perfect overdrive pedal, I'm now looking for a pedal to give that big fat juicy overdrive sound of Scott Henderson and Michael Landau. I know they play totally different amps and cabs, but I'd like to get close to that sound. It needs to be Low/medium gain and should react well to volume control changes from the guitar. I guess it is in the plexi vein what I'm looking for, but not too high gain. It should work well with a clean amp.
    It should obviously work well with the tweed amp. I mainly play single coils.

Overdrives I have now on my board:
    Mi Audio Blue Boy Deluxe (w NJM2043D chip)
    Clark/Barber Gainster
    Jetter GSR
    Xotic BB Preamp

I have considered:
    Maxon SD-9 (maybe analogman mod) will it work w. the tweed?
    Maxon VOP-9
    Lovepedal COT50 Gold (I heard a buddys regular cot50 and that was great on my tweed, just need the master vol control)
    Barber Direct drive or maybe Small Fry
    Jetter Black or Purple (but will they work w. the tweed:worried)
    OCD (heard it works well w. tweeds)
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine

I'm particular interested in the COT50 gold and comments about that!

Other suggestions are welcome!

2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

My amp is an old Fender Deluxe from the 50s. Not as much headroom as yours, I suspect. But if I set the input volume low so there is more headroom, I may be a bit like what you have.

Under those settings, I find that a Barber Ltd or a BJFE Honeybee work great for thickening in general and providing a bit of grit when I dig in, allowing a nice singing tone only when I really hit the strings hard and use hand vibrato.

I also have a stock Boss SD-9 that has been on and off my board. I prefer that pedal with my Bassman head, but with the Deluxe it is pretty edgy. I dial the tone of the SD-9 down to almost nothing to make it smoother. I think this pedal is too hairy with my tweed Deluxe and things get mushy, but it is very good with the Bassman. I used to play it with a ali panel Marshall and that was great.

I hope that was useful in some way.

DS

3. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

Not sure about most of the pedals on your wish list, but I can say from experience that the Liquid Sunshine (though a very cool pedal) is probably not going too give you what you're after. I would have thought the xotic bb would work well. No?

4. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I don't know about the two guys you mention, but in my 5e3 clone, the best OD ever comes from a ge fuzzface with the guitar turned down a little. Wooly.

5. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

No doubt! This is king through an old tweed.

6. strattitude

strattitude Member

Fuzz is IMO just not clear sounding. I am after a clear/clean sounding od that also will get dirty ala Hendrix (not his fuzztone)
    I did have a Fulltone '69 at one time, but it didn't go well with my Fender Blues Deville, the lack of mids did not seem to suit it well, I liked the pedal but I did't find much use for it.

The BB is cool for smooth leads, but when I turn the guitar vol down it sounds a bit too upper middy IMO.

And My amp is not an old tweed, it is modded for more clean headroom :)

7. jayn

jayn Member

I don't know about the modded part, but when I had a Vicky Deluxe clone, a Timmy was truly amazing through that amp. You'll probably want to try the different dip switch settings though.

8. strattitude

strattitude Member

Timmy's are just hard to get hold of, though I'd like to try one out!

9. jayn

jayn Member

They are easy to get a hold of...its the patience that's hard. :roll

I got the call last week...on my birthday no less. Timmy and Tim are in the mail to me...still kicking myself for selling my other Timmy in the first place.

10. strattitude

strattitude Member

Any other suggestions comments??

11. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Blackstone cranked up...

12. jacstraw84

jacstraw84 Member

I'm really digging the turbo mode on my Keeley flexi 4x2. It's got a really thick overdrive tone.

13. MikeyB59

MikeyB59 Member

A guy I play with has a great 50s Deluxe and he gets a killer sound with a Crowther Hotcake. He has that thing on almost all the time, particularly with a strat and gets anywhere from slightly biting rockabilly to singing Santana with that combo. It sounds just fantastic. I don't own a Hotcake yet, but I should after hearing his.

I like the sound of a vintage Rat into a Tweed as well. Lots of flavors from the Rat depending on whether the gain is almost no gain up to big gain, combined with the tone knob.

14. RDM

RDM Senior Member

My Barber DD sounds killer with my Bassman LTD.

15. Dale

Dale Member

Well, I use the SD Twin Tune, and Fuzz Head to et a different version. But he Twin tuse really does this for me.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

17. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Bad Monkey...seriously.

18. strattitude

strattitude Member

Ok thanks everyone.
    I will probably try the COT50 Gold, as I remember the regular COT50 as having the sound I'm after, but the gold will be more flexible I guess.

19. occy87

occy87 Member

I play a 5e3 and have to say a Honey Bee does the trick.:dude

20. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member