• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Big GC Buying Event?

tarheelalum

Where I live they won't even let you go in the store. And as far as them buying used gear, they have always offered next to nothing and then turn around and charge triple or more than what they paid you for it. Thats is always how they have operated in southern California in my experience.

Cali234

I didn't read the whole article but I don't see how it's vile. They usually only offer 50 to 60 percent. It's not like they're forcing anyone to sell their gear and sometimes it's not worth the hassle of dealing with all the flakes or fees of selling online.

bean

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not getting something here. GC usually offers about 60% of market price on used gear. So, they are hosting an event for musicians where they will pay what they always pay for used gear, maybe a bit more? What's the scummy part?

duke23433

Silver Supporting Member
I mean I don't think it's any different than me getting a good deal during quarantine. There's plenty of people that have been posting up fantastic prices on guitars because they need the cash. What is up with the envy and jealously on this forum? From one guy crapping on custom shops, to others going after Trogley, to now this.

Guitar Center always treated me fair, can't say I've shopped there in a few years, but they're not holding a gun to anyones head forcing them to sell. It's a business, I don't get what is so shocking about it.

ETA: Not directed towards you OP

ripgtr

I didn't read the whole article but I don't see how it's vile. They usually only offer 50 to 60 percent. It's not like they're forcing anyone to sell their gear and sometimes it's not worth the hassle of dealing with all the flakes or fees of selling online.
I worked in a music store in the 90s that did almost all used stuff, in San Jose area. Used stuff, generally, sold for about half what new stuff sold for. This was typically pedals, low end guitars, generic amps. Higher end stuff of course would be more. The store, like most places that do used stuff, paid half of what they would sell it for. They had to store it for 30 days, to get off police hold (and if it was stolen, they had to eat what they paid for it, and yea, it did happen sometimes), and then fix it up. They had a couple full time techs just to get the stuff sell-able. Then stuff would go on the floor/wall and could sit there for months. I think they bought Goo Gone in 55 gallon drums, lol. I was in one of the owners houses once, believe me, he was not getting rich, by a long shot.

If you want used retail, sell it yourself. If you want to sell it to someone who has to then turn around try to make a profit selling it, they are going to pay you less. I go on Reverb and see people selling pedals for 90% of new. For that, I'll buy new, instead of taking the chance on someone's old stuff. Sorry, but no. Which is why that stuff sits for ages on there.

ThePunisher

Where I live they won't even let you go in the store. And as far as them buying used gear, they have always offered next to nothing and then turn around and charge triple or more than what they paid you for it. Thats is always how they have operated in southern California in my experience.
That's any type of store that buys and trades they always have to sell it for twice or triple for what they paid you. It's called how business works.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I worked in a music store in the 90s that did almost all used stuff, in San Jose area. Used stuff, generally, sold for about half what new stuff sold for. This was typically pedals, low end guitars, generic amps. Higher end stuff of course would be more. The store, like most places that do used stuff, paid half of what they would sell it for. They had to store it for 30 days, to get off police hold (and if it was stolen, they had to eat what they paid for it, and yea, it did happen sometimes), and then fix it up. They had a couple full time techs just to get the stuff sell-able. Then stuff would go on the floor/wall and could sit there for months. I think they bought Goo Gone in 55 gallon drums, lol. I was in one of the owners houses once, believe me, he was not getting rich, by a long shot.

If you want used retail, sell it yourself. If you want to sell it to someone who has to then turn around try to make a profit selling it, they are going to pay you less. I go on Reverb and see people selling pedals for 90% of new. For that, I'll buy new, instead of taking the chance on someone's old stuff. Sorry, but no. Which is why that stuff sits for ages on there.

I worked in camera store a long time ago, same thing. The manager had a great answer for some of the amounts that someone would say the store should be offering, and it wasn’t a wisecrack, it was absolutely the case—“I can buy a new one for that.” Or less than that. Referring to dealer cost from the camera companies.

Last edited:

Gibson Dog

Gold Supporting Member
Just saw this on Facebook. Anybody know about this, or have an opinion to share?
https://www.victorrecords.com/hisma...0rcCUv8RvZ8W2Uha3lXMMiAp2cS_MpdWVAaCJ1e2nHmLk
Dude, you need to put a PSA in these posts 'Warning - take 2 beta blockers 30 min before reading"

Am I shocked that a corporation is taking advantage of a global pandemic - I'm not shocked by this stuff anymore but I'm disgusted & disappointed when I see this kind of BS!

They're saying - we know we're in the middle of a global pandemic & musicians are especially hurting right now. Please come in this Saturday & we will buy your 60th anniversary R9 that you just paid $6k for, we'll give you $1,200 for it (rent money for a lot of people) because we want to ease the burden on musicians & put money in their pockets!

F'n ENRAGING!! I'm in Los Angeles & EVERYTHING INDOORS is closed here & that includes them. I will be going over there whenever this is & if they're allowing people inside the store they will shut down in under an hour! A bar right down the street from them let a bunch of maskless people squeeze in when they first rolled back parts of the stay at home & they were shut down indefinitely & they got a massive $25,000 fine! This doesn't matter I can't hate them anymore than I already do.

tarheelalum

That's any type of store that buys and trades they always have to sell it for twice or triple for what they paid you. It's called how business works.

In my experience most business don't operate on 300 - 400% mark up. That is not how any business I've been a part of works.

Fishermike

Silver Supporting Member
Gonna have to take a pass on getting outraged about this. It's not like they just started buying used gear, and all of your other options (CL, Reverb, eBay, pawn shop, whatever) are still available if you need to sell your gear.

Of all the things out there to get your panties in a wad about, this really shouldn't move the needle, IMO. There's plenty of stuff to be legitimately furious about.

guitarlix

Moral outrage against any type of capitalistic behavior seems to be in vogue presently.
Exactly. And as someone who grew up in a different part of the world, entering my first guitar center in the US was like entering paradise!

Being the gearhead that I'm ... I've since visited tons of other guitar stores wherever I travel - Mannys, FatSound, Sweetwater, Ultrasound, Tone Merchants etc. And while those are great stores, I see no reason to constantly bash Guitar Center.

Honestly, I've found the store employees to be just a bunch of guys trying to do their best, just like any other store...of course, they have to work within the confines of the rules/guidelines that the company sets as a larger corporation. My experiences haven't been any different from those other stores that I've visited.

If anything, I'm grateful that I still have a dedicated large scale music store near me that hasn't gone the way of ToysRUs. With all the consolidation that's been happening in the retail world, I really don't want to be doing my gear shopping at Walmart.

Last edited:

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Also keep in mind that GC has huge buying power on new gear. So that guitar that sells new for $1800 and is worth $1000 used? GC can buy a new one for $700. That means they are NOT going to buy your USED one for $700. Probably more like $400-500, depending on condition, color, case, etc. You would do the same thing. Or you would go out of business.

Trending Topics