Big Gig, Little Amp..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MONSTER ZERO, May 19, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

[​IMG]

My lead guitar dude pre-show with his DT-25. I ran out front during the set a couple times and boy did it sound good. Made me GAS for a DT-25 or 50 but the amp I brought with me didn't sound too shabby either that day which was a Red Stripe Bandit. One of these eons I have to get a recording. Sucks not having anyone I trust to do that yet.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  2. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

As long as the PA & sound man are good.

Played a small music festival in 1988, roughly 8000 people. When I put my Peavey Bandit on the stage, the sound guy said "is that it?"

I said "Yup. Think it will be enough?"

"No problem."

It wasn't.

3. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

HAHA ya I'd love to play to that many but I'd be scared to bring my Bandit for that. I had my Bandit that day on 5 sitting on the floor and I heard it just fine. Normally I would have had my amp on a stand tilted up at me but I forgot it.

4. jota

jota Member

My DRRi is enough for the outdoor gigs my band plays!
    [​IMG]

This was on a football field:
    [​IMG]
    The stage:
    [​IMG]

shane88 and MONSTER ZERO like this.
  5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I have a Goodsell Super 17 with a Scumnico speaker and a Dr. Z Brake Lite in it. I have yet to play a rock gig where it wasn't bordering on "too much amp." I'll usually have the Brake Lite on the second or third setting, and my master volume is usually around 10 o'clock. I send a decently hot signal off my pedalboard to the amp, but still. I've toyed with getting a 10-12 watt amp just so I'm not throttling it down.

6. Snare227

Snare227 Vendor

Absolutely. I always feel that I'm hired to make the playing and guitar tones sound the best that I can. Volume and band mix is what the soundman is hired to do. I don't want the soundman adjusting the EQ settings on my amp or fiddling with my pedals, and I'm sure he doesn't want me to bring out enough amp power for proper crowd coverage lol. Now there is an argument for the tone you get with a high powered amp vs a low powered amp... but once again the entire reasoning isn't for the volume it's for that is based on the tone and feel achieved, that just happens to go along with sheer volume. Personally I've got my rig dialed in for IEMs and sound isolation between the instruments, so I roll with lowered powered amps and a pedalboard all the time regardless of stage size and just put my faith in the soundman to do the rest. (yes sometimes that ends up biting you in the backside) I've never once had a soundman tell me to turn up the guitar amp, but several times I've been told to turn down and wind up barely having an amp on, let alone pushing the tubes. I'd rather be in a situation where my sweet spot on my amp wasn't enough to hear myself onstage and I have to pump some more through the monitors than to wind up with a flabby tone from having my amp on 1.

7. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Smaller amps are all one needs when the FOH and monitors are adequate. The mic 1" off the grill doesn't know the difference between a Princeton Reverb or a 2203 half stack. The soundman does...

DV52, shane88 and Tony like this.
  8. mikebat

mikebat Member

FOH hears no difference, but I can when I am on stage. I cannot count on a great monitor mix. A 2x12 and a 50 watt amp is a bare minimum.

9. Brooks

Brooks Member

not true. a low watt 1x10 or 1x12 open back will sound different than a high watt 2x12 or 4x12 closed back, sound different both standing infront of it and sound different to a mic.

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My Goodsell 5f1/5f2a
    [​IMG]

Can you spot it on the stage?
    [​IMG]

A sure way to make sure you are full up in the FOH is to bring a tiny amp.

buddaman71 likes this.
  11. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Club gig, little amp,... 17watts of goodness, no problem getting above the drummer, no need to mic in this setting.

[​IMG]

12. jerrycasemusic

jerrycasemusic Member

With a decent PA assumed - As long as I know I will be able to hear it clearly, then it's big enough. I pretty much always side wash my amp and usually have it on a tilt back stand on smaller stages to get it up into my ears. Then let the out front guy do what he gets paid to do. A lot of dudes go overkill I think. My 38watt Dr Z is FAR loud enough for any stage I've been on.

I saw John McLaughlin last time through at Massey Hall, he had a tiny amp on a chair beside him on stage! Sounded killer and he looked happy.

shane88 likes this.
  13. The Funk

The Funk Member

I've played outdoors with 15 watts, 30 watts and 50 watts. I was probably told to turn down.

As long as the monitor mix is good, theres no problem. I have no illusions that my amp is actually carrying the sound to the people. That big PA with many thousands of watts is going to do a much better job. The great thing about the outdoor shows is that you can actually get your amp cooking in the way that it sounds best, and then send that sound through the PA.

14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I play with small amps a lot and I don't think the size of the room particularly matters. If there is a mic on them, it's all good. Lately I've been using my Tech21 Power Engine 60 for most shows (of all sizes).

Peace,

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I can't imagine a gig without sound reinforcement.

I'm sure they still happen, but I've not played one in decades.

16. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

Ouch.

17. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Ya unless it's a huge room and you like the 4x12 sound there's no need any more with the great sound systems available today. There are some dreamworthy amps in this thread! I thought about re-introducing a 4x12 into my rig a little while back and then thought better of it. It's just silly to me especially in a smaller room. Gawd I think this is turning into the 4x12 vs. combo thing again..

Nooooooooooooooooo. That wasn't my intention.

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I've played big rigs (4x12 cabs 100w amps) in small clubs and large outdoor arenas and I've played small rigs (30W 1x12's) in small venues and large outdoor arenas as well. For outdoor gigs I very much prefer a larger rig just because it feels better on stage. Now if I were using In Ears I probably wouldn't care either way. Go with what inspires you and works for you and the most importantly the context of the music you are playing! :beer

Here are several rigs I've used. Mostly the bigger ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Bobby D, Phletch, ripple and 11 others like this.
  19. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Roland Blues Cube 40 I picked up in a KC pawnshop for $125. Works great, sounds killer with my Tele and with the gain cranked up on the elad channel it really rocks.

shane88 likes this.
  20. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

And front of house hears a big difference. At least the real pro ones do. I've worked venues where they could hear when I have switched guitar and had to eq the other differently. Placement of the microphone or microphones are crucial as well as your eq settings.

Phletch and buddaman71 like this.