Big guys, what are you wearing on stage?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TeleBlack, Mar 10, 2015.

1. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

I'm no toothpick. Carry a spare tire too. Could lose 70 more pounds. Looking for inspiration on what to wear on stage with the new band.

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Andre the Giant style singlet. You'll be ready for anything.

3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

It is a never ending struggle for me. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for 8 weeks and I'm doing the treadmill or bike 5 days a week.

I tore the meniscus in both knees, then got a huge blood clot in my leg. I was very immobile for months and I have a tendency to binge eat.

I was shocked one day when I got on the scale at a doctors office.

So I started the diet.

In the meantime I would wear loose shirts and try not to think about it.
    Unfortunately people take pictures and shoot video and there is no hiding reality.

I've made a lot of progress and hope to be back to respectable by May.

Sorry, it's not politically correct but being fat on stage is embarrassing for me. It also makes singing harder as well as surviving in the hot summer outdoor concert season.

Momma Cass wore a muumuu.

Some say "it's about the music and the rest doesn't matter" Well it matters to me whether some give me a pass or not.

Black, loose clothes and hide behind your guitar short term.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I thought you meant big like me (6'3" 212lbs), not huge...but I usually wear black clothes that fit well. You guys might want to try that too...but in a looser version like Dave said...

5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I can probably hide 15-20lbs if I am wearing clothes strategically but that ain't enough to disguise another 30-odd lbs more on top of that. My wife would probably say, no, more like another 40-odd lbs...whatever. This thread isn't about losing weight - it's about trying decent stage clothing. I'm 6'1" BTW.

IMVHO, I think that old jeans and trainers/running shoes don't do wonders for 'size perception'. It doesn't work for me. Jeans and long shorts for load-in/setups/soundcheck but change into nicer gear.
    I try to stay classy, stay clean. Casual, collared shirt. Nice shoes, proper casual trousers.
    Regardless of the shape that I have been in, I've always overheated easily, except now that I am overweight I am conscious that avoiding profuse perspiration gives a better 'look'. So, I have my whisper quiet, low-draw Honeywell fan on me while performing.

6. Stike

Stike Member

What kind of band? If you're playing bro country covers you should probably ignore advice from some one doing wedding gigs.

7. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I would say don't fall into the trap many overweight people fall into, which is wearing clothes that are looser fitting because they think it helps hide the extra pounds. It only has the opposite effect. If I'm going to be blunt, it just makes overweight people look like slobs who have given up.

Pay attention to fit, as that is key. Shoulder seams should hit at the shoulder, not inches below it. Get you pants/jeans hemmed to the right length - rolling your cuffs will make you look shorter and therefore wider. The same goes for letting the extra length bunch up at your ankles. Stay away from billowy fabrics and avoid pleats.

There's no way to fool people into thinking you weigh less than you really do, but you can dress in a way that makes you feel confident and exude confidence and THAT's the best look.

8. Roark

Roark Member

I like this kind of stuff, embroidered stuff but no florals, and darker colors.

http://www.mycubanstore.com/

The western wear places have some nice shirts too.

No T-shirts.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'm 6'6" and pushing 260. Recovering from shoulder surgery and picked up about 15 lb from the inactivity. Time to get active again, and keep an eye on the Ben & Jerry's intake.

I'm all about muted camp shirts and jeans. All my Hawaiian shirts and tan pants are too small at this point. Something to work towards.

10. R2112

R2112 Member

Trying to drop 50lbs myself. In the meantime, I wear jeans, and either a bowling shirt or baseball jersey unbuttoned over a t-shirt. Works well for me.

11. shane88

shane88 Member

12. gigs

gigs Member

I'm a serious sweater. Exercising or playing gigs, I can't turn the sweat off. Been that way all my life. Drink lots to stay hydrated and there's nothing I can do about that "look" by the middle of the 1st set. Some people sweat alot when they are working hard, not much I can do about it.

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

An informal survey...

Trench coat method

Ruffled shirt and suspenders (he also does the long tux thing) method

The scarf, hat and long coat method

The hat, PRS and talent method

So, it looks like a hat and a long coat help.

14. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Good point. I guess americana would be the best way to describe the band. Folk country rock and jam all rolled into one.

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I'm a big-time sweater too. I've found as long as your armpits aren't stained and you wipe your face and hair off with a towel right after you get off stage and most importantly, don't stink, you're fine.

I always wear a T-shirt under my shirt. It may sound counter-intuitive, but the T-shirt keeps the sweat from hitting the shirt no matter how hot it is...and I always shower before a show. Nobody likes a stinky guitar player....

16. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Jam?
    There you go, talking about food again...pancakes, syrup, 'buttah' etc.

17. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

:roll

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

19. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member