Big Head Todd Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cruiser, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Cruiser

Cruiser Member

Does anyone know what kind of amp he uses? I was at the show at Red Rocks on saturday, saw some tweed cabinets...and one head. Any ideas?

2. mude

mude Supporting Member

Last time I saw him, he was using a Line 6 head and floorboard.

Evan.

3. reverber8

reverber8 Member

I saw him last July and he was using a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410. He sounded really good. It was an out door gig with a pretty decent PA. I was actually able to hear the amp alone from about 40 ft during the sound check. It was reasonably loud by itself. When the amp was put thru the FOH it really came to life. Good show!

4. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I think it's a constant evolution with him. At one point he had a laptop on stage and was running a copy of Amp Farm through ProTools...

Peace,

jb

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

He sure did! They are one of my favorite bands and I've seen them qute a few times live. I hated the Pro Tools set up. He's played through everything from vintage Fenders to Line 6 stuff to Mesas, etc. I've always wondered why he didn't just run a vintage Marshall or a modrn equivalent (Germino, Blockhead etc). Seems like it wold fit his style and tone perfectly.

This is from his tech guy from a couple of months ago on their web site: Todd IS still using his Vox Tone Lab pedal board, which gives him a variety of tones and overdrive options. He also is mixing in a Fullton Wah Pedal and a pair of T-Rex pedals, one for setting a variety of gain structures, and one for echos with tap tempo.

I remember reading somewhere that his tweed 4x12 is loaded with V30s.

6. Cruiser

Cruiser Member

Cool, thats what I found too...seems to be ever changing...what a GREAT band tho!!!

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I think at one point it was a mac running ampfarm. Last time I saw 'em it was some Fender RI amp but that was quite a few years ago.

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the redundant info.

8. Cthross

Cthross Member

Huge fan here. I see him whenever he comes to town. First time i saw him the opening act was Rusted Root. They were damn good too.

Let's see. The first time I saw him he was using a JCM800 for the Sister Sweetly tour. On the Red Rocks DVD he's using a Bassman and JCM800. Same time frame.

Twice I've seen him and he had the amp facing him so I couldn't really see what it was. Once he was using a Gibson amp along with his Tonelab. The older model that had 1-12 inch speaker and 1-10 inch speaker.

He changes his setup constantly. His guitars are everchanging as well, but he has some constants. Recently started using humbucking more. Was using LP's, but now he's using humbucking guitars made by a local builder in Colorado.

Hope it helps.

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I saw him playing the Gibson amps live. His strat copies are benedicts with lace holy grails. Regardless, that boy can play!

10. BorisC

BorisC Member

Yep, Gibsons on the Live at the Filmore DVD (2004) and yep, that boy can play....and sing! Great DVD.

:AOK

11. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Cruiser, You have great taste in tone.
    In my cover bands we allways do a couple of his tunes from the Sister Sweetly CD. People still really dig his tunes and so do I.
    Hot Rod Fenders with a stompbox or two will get you very close to his tone IMHO.

12. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I love Sister Sweetly and Live Monsters. They are a cool band.

Sounds like he went back to amps. There was an article in GP from a few years ago where he talked about switching over to a lap top and Pro Tools for live use. Maybe it was Amp Farm(?)