Big muff and fuzz face in one pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blackba, Mar 14, 2008.

1. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

In the new band I am starting up we are playing some Smashing Pumpkins and Bush songs, so I figure I need a fuzz. I have had a couple of big muff's over the years. I would like a fuzz face or like pedal at some point, so what are some good recommendations for a pedal that is like a fuzz face, but can get me Bush/Pumpkins tones.

I thought about getting a BYOC Little Beaver and a BYOC fuzz face clone, but I have heard the fuzz face clone doesn't sound right, since it is referenced in the opposite polarity as the original. Ideally I would like to get one fuzz, that gives me both sounds or in the ballpark at least....

2. coreybox

coreybox Member

The BYOC beaver I had sounded very nice with the sustain all the way down. You might be happy with that as a sort of 'faux-fuzzface' kind of thing.

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

ToneFactor/ Mojo Hand Huckleberry: Fuzz Face with a Big Muff tone stack. It will do the Fuzz Face as well as some convincing Smashing Pumphkins Muff tones. Great pedal. Its actual a hybrid GE/Si

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You might look into the Foxrox Zim. I'm sure he makes both FF and Big Muff cards for it. He's got a strong following for his FF clone in the Hendrix style pedalboard... having them both in the same box does cut down on hum, connectors and cables, so it's a REALLY good idea.

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Anybody who's tried the Barber fuzz want to chime in?

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Barber fuzz is all Si based, and you want a Ge fuzz for the FF tones.

7. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    Check out the Earthquaker Devices Hoof. It's a Silicon/Germanium Hybrid Fuzz with a VERY useable tone control. It's based on the Green Sovtek Muffs, but WAY more versatile and much better build quality.

8. porsch8

porsch8 Member

I bought a huckleberry hoping for the same thing...i didn't really like it though

9. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

any other thoughts on a FF and BM in one pedal?

10. MoreBeer

MoreBeer Member

You could possibly get fuzz face tones out of the Fix'd Fuzz side of a Twosome and still have the Muff fuzz side. If you didn't mind adjusting a single pedal to cop both tones you could go with a Fuzz Factory.