Big Muff bottom end

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by disconnector, Feb 20, 2012.

1. disconnector

disconnector Supporting Member

Hi all,

I'm starting to get the itch for yet another Big Muff and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've got a Skreddy Top Fuel and a Pig Mine, a BYOC Triangle, a Biyang Fuzz Star (surprisingly excellent), a couple EH NYC reissues, and a black Russian. I've been a Muff freak for a while - in more ways than one :rotflmao

I seriously LOVE my Russian - it's so HUGE and chunky in the bottom end. It's just so mid shy that it disappears in the mix. It has the prefect amount of gain and a super silky singing high end but every time I step on it I just pretty much drop out. I was thinking about modding it but the Russian PCBs are so pitiful that the traces are sure to lift.

Can someone recommend a Muff that has that HUGE FAT bottom end but also has a nice mid hump? Basically a Russian that won't get lost in the mix.

I've been thinking about a Musket or a SUF Civil War - do these have a bottom end that's comparable to a Black Russian?

Thanks!

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I've never played a Musket, but I have tons of black Russians and a pretty much all of the SUFs.

The SUF CIvil War is absolutely amazing. It has a HUGE low end and it has more mids than the blacks, but it still might have trouble in a dense mix, since it is pretty true to the original.

It sounds like you are totally looking for the SUF Red Menace. It's like a Civil War with a grinding mid range. It's amazing in a dense band mix. You want it.

3. disconnector

So the Red Menace keeps the bottom end and adds the grind? I'm in love :)

Can you point me to a good demo on the web? The only YouTube vids I found sound like they were recorded by folks that DIDN'T want you to buy it.

Thanks BTW brother!

4. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Not sure if it is the best option, but here is a comparison I did of my Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff against my Tall Font Green Russian Muff. The Basic Audio cuts through well as it has a mid knob.

5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

you won't find any stock muffs with mid humps. when you add a mid hump, you make it sound less muffy.

6. ryderuveze

ryderuveze Supporting Member

You might wanna check out Catalinbread's Manx, it solved my muff search. The EQ makes it very versatile.
    Informative demo by JustNick:
    http://youtu.be/CHlclapbPYc

7. Guitarman6730

Guitarman6730 Member

The skreddy supa tone has a great bottom end with the nice a nice mid hump.

8. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

Swollen Pickle. It's just a more tweakable muff, so you can cram mids and bass in there all you like.

9. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

10. OMTerria

OMTerria Member

An Earthbound Audio Supercollider would fit your needs perfectly.

11. KaiiSt

KaiiSt Member

Mojo Hand FX Colossus is based on a russian/civil war muff and got a mid-knob, as well as an additional switch which affects the EQ. Check it out!

12. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Look for a four knob muff clone. The Mojo Hand Colossus and EQD Hoof are the first that come to mind. They both have mid controls just a little different sound. The hoof sounds more full to me but I think the Colossus cleans up better. Another option is just try a mid boost pedal or EQ boost for mids. A little more footwork but it might be easier if you like your setup the way it is. Good luck.

13. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I feel like it's still kinda flying under the radar, but check out the Wampler Leviathan. It's got two modes (silicon and Germanium), and while it's not marketed as a Big Muff clone, per se, Brian Wampler designed it to emulate Billy Corgan's awesome tones.

It has a tone and bass control, and you can tweak those two to make the EQ really work for you.

Incredible fuzz pedal - I've got one on the way after hearing my friend's.

14. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

The Hoof is an awesome pedal. I have one. However, it doesn't really have any more low-end than a black Russian Muff. I still say the Red Menace. Matt has even tweaked it further with more gain. I just might have to make a demo tonight since nobody is supplying them.:munch

15. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Off topic but the title has so much win.

16. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

musket is based off the green russian i believe which is most say is the better russian compared to the black version. It has lots of low end and has mids knob which on version 2 at max gives mid hump on version 1 max knob is flat mids.

17. disconnector

I do like a nice firm chunky bottom end. It turns my head every time. Nothing wrong with a nice perky bouncy top end as well. And you know what? I like guitars as well :drool

Thanks everyone for your input!

Anyway - I wish that there was a place you could just sit down and play all of these bad boys. Right now I'm thinking about an Earthbound Audio Beast (Supercollider is gone), a Musket, or a Red Menace. I LOVE the sound of the Supercollider - it sounds like Electric Wizard in a box - and the Beast should make the same sounds just with a bunch of buttons I'll never use. The Musket looks like the last word in flexibility and the clips are ok. The Red Menace is on the list because I've never heard a bad word about SUF.

The Manx doesn't sound bottomy enough to me in the clips that I have found. Catalainbread makes some cool stuff - although I'm still trying to find a good home for my DLS.

Of course the Hoof and the Colossus sound righteous too. God this addiction has to end somewhere other than the poor house.

18. Dashface

Dashface Member

Put your Muff with a little EQ pedal in their own bypass loop on your board. Problem solved! :D

19. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

"Big Muff Bottom End".... nice.

20. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

Looks like you got every Muff suggested under the rainbow :)

If you want one with the bottom end of a Russian, but less scooped mids so it punches through a band mix more, try the SUF Red Menace, or the BYOC Large Beaver triangle spec. The Red Menace fits the bill exactly. The BYOC triangle has a huge bottom end, and a two position mids boost selector. Both are really good sounding Big Muffs.

Or simply go with the EHX Bass Big Muff. That is what replaced the Russian Big Muff. Good mids, and a bass boost if you want it, but it has plenty of bottom end in standard mode.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012