Big Muff Experts? Are These Knobs Original?

angusdeadking

So, my old Ram's Head has these aluminum knobs on it that I have yet to see on another Muff. Would these have come off of something else? Could they be original? Ive been through tons of info and history but never saw knobs like these. I assume they are added but it would be neat if they were some rare knob or something. It's a monstrous sounding pedal btw,very cool. Probably one of my most prized possessions.
35i15ow.jpg

qpl9px.jpg

amz-fx

Silver Supporting Member
I have a ram's head Muff that looks exactly like that and it has black plastic knobs. I am the original owner so I know mine are factory.

I've never seen aluminum knobs on old EH stuff, though since they had a practice of using what could be bought cheap, it can;t be ruled out.

My opinion is that they are not original, FWIW.

Best regards, Jack

angusdeadking

That's ok, I figured they werent but I have read on Kit's site that there were some pretty rare knobs used. They sure look cool on mine though, definitely fit the pedal well. Seems like these could have came off an old stereo receiver or something? Idk, I like em' though

angusdeadking

From Kit Rae's site: "There were three version of the reactor tower knobs, pictured below. A variety of other knob types were used as E-H searched for a knob style that they could use for all pedals. Around 1975 E-H settled on the common Daka-Ware black Bakelite type, with d-shafts, ridged sides, and protruding pointer. Most of those were made by Davies Molding of Chicago. Some of the alternate knobs found on V2s were purchased for use on the OEM versions, and others were used by E-H when they were trying to find consistent knobs for production before settling on the black Davies Molding knobs. Many of the odd knobs are thought to be after market replacements, but they are usually original." Keep in mind, my pedal is definitely pre-75' No "off" printed and the square logo puts it around 73' or 74' I think

Last edited:

Skreddy

Where/when did you get that? Reminds me of something I could've had a hand in, but not necessarily so.

angusdeadking

I got it a while back in a tiny junk/consignment/thrift store type place. Here in North Carolina, just outside Charlotte near Lowes Motor Speedway. It was sitting with an old (but not as old as the muff) Small Stone which had been modded with a battery connector coming out of the a/c jack hole. Also a mid-late 60's Teisco Del Ray with the floral pickguard and single "Spectrum Treble & Bass" pickup. You know how those places like to make package deals. Walked out with all of it for $100....

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Gold Supporting Member
I saw a million muffs back in the day (no pun intended, but damn that's pretty funny...) and never saw those knobs. But I saw similar knobs on other audio equipment so I think "pilfered from a stereo" is a very good call.

FWIW I used to put tele knobs on all my guitars back then.

gripweed

That's ok, I figured they werent but I have read on Kit's site that there were some pretty rare knobs used. They sure look cool on mine though, definitely fit the pedal well. Seems like these could have came off an old stereo receiver or something? Idk, I like em' though
Kit is a member here. Maybe he'll chime in.

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
I have never seen those before. With that being said, early EHX pedals were not exactly the epitome of consistency.

Skreddy

I got it a while back in a tiny junk/consignment/thrift store type place. Here in North Carolina, just outside Charlotte near Lowes Motor Speedway. It was sitting with an old (but not as old as the muff) Small Stone which had been modded with a battery connector coming out of the a/c jack hole. Also a mid-late 60's Teisco Del Ray with the floral pickguard and single "Spectrum Treble & Bass" pickup. You know how those places like to make package deals. Walked out with all of it for $100....

So not my work, but amazing deal! Probably original footswitch, could likely benefit from a true-bypass operation if you don't like the tone suck on bypass.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom