Big Muff Input Volume Question

guitarmania

Hi all.

Quick question to all the Big Muff experts out there.

I currently have a Wren & Cuff Box of War Civil War Muff, and I have not tried different types of muffs out there yet.

I find that when the input volume into the BoW is increased, there is a "boominess" in tone that almost drowns out the distortion. The boominess increases when input volume is raised. It is very prominent; I'm wondering if there is a correlation.

However, when I lower my guitar volume (or general volume going into the BoW) it sounds great, without the boomy bass. Actually, it sounds very balanced and full when input volume is low going into it.

This happens to be very specifically evident with volume level going into the BoW, not so much bass/mid/treble EQ going into the BoW.

I do use high output pickups, but never noticed this issue with other fuzzes or drives, so I'm wondering if it is unique to muff circuits.

Is this a characteristic of all muffs, or even Civil War muffs, or is it this particular make/model?

Do you think that I would experience this with other muffs, or other Civil War muffs? Does this occur with the Ram's Head or other versions?

Very interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks.

Black_Label

It might be your BoW. I don't think that's characteristic of other Muffs or CW Muffs in general. They're a bit lower gain and tend to sound great with humbuckers. If you don't want 'woofy', try a v5 Muff or a w&c IC Pie. Those ar higher gain, smoother and have a little less bass to begin with.

Absent Ocean

I find the same thing happens with my Mojo Hand Colossus, another Civil War/Russian based Muff, to the point where it becomes hard to use to me if I have any drive pedal on before it. Conversely, my Dues Ex, based on an IC Muff, sounds great being boosted by anything including other heavy fuzz. In my estimate it depends on the version, but I can't speak for the Triangle or Ram's Head.

guitarmania

Thanks for the input. In this case, I may have to try another Civil War muff to compare side-by-side. I'm looking into the JAM Pedals Red Muck (as I believe that it is a Civil War variant). From the Jam Pedals website, it is 'inspired from combining the circuits of the '71 “triangle” and the later “Red Army / Civil War” Muff."

It would be great to hear if anyone has had experience with both the Box of War and Red Muck--if they are pretty much the same with the same qualities and response.

Trending Topics