• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Big Muff Lovers / Pedal Techs: A Question...

Killshakes

I have a bunch of BMP-based pedals, and one of my favorites at the moment is the Blakemore Dreamsicle. One of the best things about it is that it features a footswitchable Tone Bypass, which takes the entire tone stack out of the circuit (or so I've read / heard). The result is an awesomely powerful fuzz-tortion sound with more mids and volume--I really like it!

I was using the Dreamsicle the other night, and the thought occurred to me: What if, in place of an ON / OFF switch to bypass the tone stack, the pedal used a mix knob to blend the tone stack?

It's seems like it could be a pretty cool option for BMP-type fuzzes. Set fully CCW, the pedal would be in "Tone Bypass" mode. Set fully CW, it would work just like a regular BMP. Set anywhere in between, and you could get different shades of the two.

So what do you guys think? Is it workable? Desirable? Does anyone make something like this?

NOTE: I'm not talking about a simple clean blend. I know of a couple of BMP-type pedals that have that feature, including another Blakemore (the Deus Ex Machina).

Last edited:

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
There was an EHX Muff from the 70s or 80s that replaced the function of the power switch on the back of the unit with a tone stack defeat.

jubal81

The design of the BMP tone stack makes for a scooped sound. There have been a few iterations commercially available with different tone stacks.
The G2 tone knob is just a treble cut. C'Bread's Manx Loaghtan separates the bass and treble controls. There are a few others, but those are the first that pop into my head.

The best I've ever heard, and what I think you might be after, is found on a PCB for DIY called the Ultrastoner at GCFX, which has a knob to blend in more 'mids.' Works really well. This control could be hacked into any BMP with just a pot and a couple passive components.

Killshakes

There was an EHX Muff from the 70s or 80s that replaced the function of the power switch on the back of the unit with a tone stack defeat.
I know. My Dreamsicle has the same feature (and so do the EHX Tone Wicker and W&C Eye See Pi, I think). I was curious to hear what people thought about being able to blend the tone stack, rather than just switch it in and out.

Last edited:

Killshakes

The best I've ever heard, and what I think you might be after, is found on a PCB for DIY called the Ultrastoner at GCFX, which has a knob to blend in more 'mids.' Works really well. This control could be hacked into any BMP with just a pot and a couple passive components.

"Mids" knobs are pretty common in BMP clones. My SUF Violet Menace has one, for instance. That's not really what I mean though. I'm talking about a control to blend the entire tone stack, not just add / subtract mids. I suppose that, in a way, it would combine with the Tone control to function like a parametric EQ.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
I have no idea how to do it, but I would like to know if it's possible as well. I never use the tone bypass switch on my Dreamsicle because of the volume jump.

Killshakes

I have no idea how to do it, but I would like to know if it's possible as well. I never use the tone bypass switch on my Dreamsicle because of the volume jump.
I use it all the time, though not as a boost or second channel or anything. Usually I hit the swtich and then turn down the Volume knob down with my foot. In general I think of the Tone Bypass footswitch as an easier-to-activate alternative to the traditional slider switch on old BMP's.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom