Big Muff, OD-3, TS-9..... little help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Sorry for posting so much tonight but this pedal board work is driving me ****ing batty. Ok I just bought a Big Muff for my B-day, but I was thinking of taking it back for a Boss OD-3. However, I am not sure if you can use a Muff with an OD-3, would that work well. I also took off my Rat for the Muff, and have a TS-9 that probably would be sold if I got the OD-3. Don't know how to go about this, keep the Muff and get the OD-3, or return the Muff back and get the OD-3 and put the Rat back on the board. I could use a little help please...

2. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

You said you're doing hard rock, right? Take the muff back, get the od-3 and A/B with the TS-9. get rid of the one you don't like. The Rat could go back on your board as your main distortion.

3. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Yeah hard rock/alternative/some metal/some clean type stuff. I have been told the Muff is mainly a fuzz..no? Not sure.

4. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

No, it's a different beast. Kind of halfway between a distortion and a fuzz, it's really dark and bass-heavy. I use one for 80's-90's alternative sounds. It's also good for classic rock tones.

5. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Ok thanks, so is it wise to use an OD-3 with the Muff or would that not work well.

6. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

Dunno, I've never tried them together :eek:

7. Grenville

Grenville Member

I recently had the combo of Little Big Muff, OD-3 and Eternity.

Playing in a large ensemble (bs, dr, ac gtr, keys, choir, brass, el gtr), the Muff was great for saturation but not for definition.

I got similar saturation using the E and OD3 but much better bite/definition. I assume TS-9 and OD-3 would be similar.

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

A muff with an OD3 would be a catastrophy. Both are bass heavy (well the od3 is more transparent in the bass compared to most other ods I would say)
    Ts9 into OD3 is a great combo though, here's mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb4IY8BEpQ

9. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

your right bro that sounded pretty good to me. What do you use for distortion though. I didn't watch the whole thing.

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

There are 8 OD's/distortions in the Vwah - the metal zone sounds like a modded version of the original!!!, there's also a BOSS mega distortion to save space on having to goose a DS1.
    here's a comprehensive demo vid of all the dirt on the board (ts9 into od3 being the king for me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhO3JB4R0AA

and these are the vwah drives/ODs etc:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWis1hKpFQ