Big Muff Pi experts.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by liv_rong, Feb 7, 2019.

1. liv_rong

liv_rong Member

Hello, experts in the world of Big Muff land, I ask for assistance. I researched a little about this, but still not quite sure so figured I'd ask here. My co-worker brought me this to try out and I believe it to be a gem. He got it for FREE! sometime in the 70's and didnt really like it. The only thing he did to it was add the two enclosure screws since when he got it there were none. I can't tell though if it's a V1 or V2, based on this page it's a little confusing:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff_tone_differences.html

Also, based on Reverb listings, I believe identifying value is going to be difficult.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scotticus

scotticus Supporting Member

It's a V1 Triangle Big Muff with '66 pots, so it's an earlier V1, probably a '70 or '71 model. Without seeing the component side of the board, it looks mostly original. Depending on originality and any issues it may or may not have, realistic value is probably $400-600 considering the case looks a little rough, but you could clean it up if you wanted to get the most out of the sale price.

liv_rong likes this.
  3. F_Mooney

F_Mooney Member

That’s a V1 “Triangle” muff. All you need to know about background is here.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history.html

As far as value goes it’s market dependent, things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. As long as it’s working properly I would conservatively say north of $450.

liv_rong likes this.
  4. liv_rong

liv_rong Member

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! Do you think I should take take the knobs off and flip the board to get some more pics? I am probably going to list it for him, I am assuming someone buying one of these is going to want a bunch of pictures.

5. scotticus

I'd say it's only necessary if you feel comfortable doing it. These old units were not exactly built to the highest quality standards, so it's possible to break a connection loose if you're not careful. You can usually just take pictures of the sides of the board to show that everything looks straight. People buying the Triangles are going to want to see evidence that the transistors are original, and you can usually get 2-3 easily pictured from just a pic of each side. That being said, I've bought one in the past where the three visible transistors were original, and the fourth (more difficult) one was replaced and I had no idea until I took it apart.

liv_rong likes this.
  6. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Wow, that looks amazing! Great find, i d suggest keeping it, it's part of music history!

liv_rong likes this.
  7. awallace

awallace Member

Awesome! Wish I still had my old triangle muff, it was amazing.

liv_rong likes this.
  8. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Nobody wants that, man. You should just send it to me. :p

liv_rong likes this.
  9. liv_rong

liv_rong Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did t even consider that, seems so obvious now, the possibility of breaking something.

10. liv_rong

liv_rong Member

Well I listed it today and got an offer within 15-20 minutes. Ended up selling in about an hour.

scotticus and Black_Label like this.
  11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

What did you sell it for, if I might ask? I sold mine about 3 years ago for around 900 but I can’t remember the exact figure.

12. liv_rong

liv_rong Member

Not that much! The way he saw it, he got it for free and had no idea it’s worth. Once he found out he just wanted to get rid of it and buy some recording gear. I ended up selling it for $475 + $20 shipping.

Black_Label likes this.
  13. scotticus

That’s really not bad. I’ve bought them for cheaper than that as well as much more than that. I think you could’ve held out for more if you’d wanted to but you didn’t get ripped off by any means. :aok

liv_rong likes this.
  14. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Someone got a good deal! Not sure what the market for Triangle Muffs is at this point tho so it could be right along with market value too.

liv_rong likes this.