Big Muff Pi NYC RI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JJexp, May 26, 2008.

1. JJexp

JJexp Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the current NYC Big Muff Pi reissue is based on. Does it use ICs for the fuzz or ?
    The olds ones have always been kinda dodgy as far reliability so I'm considering a RI. Thoughts?

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i think its based on ICs, but it may be germanium diodes. Frantone actually designed them. Either way, i find they are pretty faithful to the "original muff tone."

3. JJexp

JJexp Member

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Anyways at that price, it can be nothing but fun.

4. parns2112

parns2112 Member

highly recommended pedal, especially at that price...you really can't go wrong, and Frantone did indeed design it

5. emeka

emeka Member

Not entirely sure but I think the little big muff is supposed to be the exact same circuit (although when I played a NYC and LBM side by side the LBM had more output volume). I love my LBM; it sounds huge and makes me think of Sonic Youth whenever I step on it. It's cheaper and built in a much better enclosure, for what it's worth...

6. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

the current big muff uses two diode clipping stages in the feedback loop of the gain stages. it uses silicon diodes for clipping.

i made a thread explaining a mod i did to my NYC big muff involving diodes. check it out!

7. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

The LBM sounds like a cross between a Ram's Head BMP and the green Sovtek BMPs. The one thing I've ascertained about muffs is that it's all a matter of taste, but the LBM is my favorite of the commonly available E-H muffs at this point. It's a really solid muff, sounds great, and addresses pretty much all of the shortcomings of the larger BMPs.

The NYC RI, incidentally, is my least favorite. Not enough teeth there.

Not that you asked for any of that, necessarily...

8. JJexp

JJexp Member

I've heard about the LBM, is it as fuzzy as the BMP??

9. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

the NYC uses transistors, not IC, as well as 2 silicon diode clipping stages, as has been previously mentioned. i haven't cracked open a LBM.

10. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

there are two versions of the LBM.

11. JJexp

JJexp Member

you mean one, the original and two, the new reissue right?

12. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

Nope, there is the first little big muff (newest version 2005) that is sustain tone and volume, and then there is the latest little big muff which is volume tone and sustain like its big brother. The older version sustain, tone and volume has more gain, day and night difference way more gain. different circuit.

13. IAE

IAE Member

both modern LBM's are the same circuit.
    the LBM sounds similar to a ramshead muff and quite different than the NYC muff.
    the nyc muff is a transistor muff with two diode clipping stages as previously stated.

the current NYC muff is the same as the one out in the 80's btw. 3003 edition.

14. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

i had both looked at the boards and there was more caps on the new LBM vts and the older lbm stv had less caps, it was different, and it had wayyyyy more gain than the newer LBM.