Big Muff Pi?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phil M, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

My friend has a Big Muff that looks like the silver, black and red one in the wikipedia photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Muff

I know he used this in a band during the early to mid '90s, but I have no idea how old it might be. When did they start doing the reissue? Could his be an original or is it more likely a reissue from the '80s?

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

The originals were sold in the 80's. The reissues have an LED where the original doesn't . My guess would be that it is an original if it was from the early 90's. I think the RI's came later. The pic on Wiki is a reissue.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Thanks for the info. His looks like the orginal '81 on the Ronsound page. I recognize that switch too.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had one of the HUGE green russian Sovtek Big Muff Pis. Wish I still had it! It sure sounded horrible with my peavey transtube and had a weird style switch more like a cylindrical design than any switch I've seen since. What a Wonka pedal. I bet it would sound great with the Carmen Ghia, I probably only had it a couple of months when I first started playing. It, er, didn't get me a very good sound with a bedroom level solid state combo...
    [​IMG]
    I'll just have to use this Huckleberry that arrived at my desk today to recreate my beginning equipment when I was 15 years old... I'm sure this pedal will sound way better than that old big muff, but I'd still pick one up if I had the ca$h and found a cheap one, just for old time's sake and to apologize to it for not understanding it all those years ago...

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

HA!! I had that green one back in the early '90s when I hadn't been playing long, but I took it back a couple days later.

I also am getting a Huckleberry in the next couple of weeks!

My friend didn't want to give up his Muff anyway. It looked like it would be a pain to incorporate into a board anyway.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

This is my fourth Tone Factor pedal, I'm sure it will be excellent like the others... enjoy!

I might print out a very small picture of that big green one and tape it to the huckleberry....

7. MrSage

MrSage Member

Best bet is to take off the back and read the pot codes. The last two digits are the week (52 weeks in a year) and the two before that are the year the pot was manufactured.

So if the last four digits are 8132, it would be from the 32nd week of 1981. Give the pots a few months to get to the factory and a few months to get put into pedals, and the pedal is probably from '81 or '82.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

The real question is whether it's an IC Muff (also call "Op Amp Muff") or one with transistors.

The IC Muffs weren't very popular at the time so there aren't as many of them. But they're getting to be more popular now.

IC Muffs have two 8-pin chips in them, while transistor muffs have four 3-pin transistors.