Big Muff replacement

DavidRAZ

I love the Big Muff, for me it's a really good fuzz but something I dislike about it is that to make it sound better or at it fullest you should you used it with an OD to boost it. Do you know other good pedal like the muff but with a mids boost or something like that? What do you recommend?

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
Hoof for sure. You can dial in that sucker to punch through the mix. The Big Muff always sounded too scooped for me.

ummohyeah

I've always found the black Russian Big Muffs to sound very "full." Sometimes an EHX Big Muff of the NYC variety can sound kind of metallic. I do like these a lot but the green Russians and black Russians are devastating.

Additionally, I recently had a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache. Ryan @ Fuzzrocious has a great ear for fuzz and his particular Muff was great sounding. Nice and full, didn't require stacking but it stacked really well with a Rat, Ss/bs Mini, and Fairfield Barbershop, each complimenting the Grey Stache in different ways.

Wren and Cuff, in my humble opinion, make the best fuzz pedals that you can buy, both in terms of price/value and sound. The Violet World and Tri-Pie might really itch that spot for you. I have a White Elk and I think it is the greatest stand alone dirt pedal I've ever owned. It requires no stacking whatsoever. It is thick, huge, and retains the highs really well when you push its "sustain," which I've found to be the opposite in a lot of Muffs I've owned. The only reason I need to stack it is for a volume boost, or to give my sound some sag and make everything sound fractured.

And btw, bringing the mids back (if this is the issue) is really a very simple mod, I ve done it to all of my bmp nyc (even on a little big muff, but with the smd's and everything it was a very painful and risky job, so I don t recommend it )

Kylote

Hoof, if I remember correctly it has a knob for mids (although not actually labeled mid) so you can dial in how much mids you want.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
Basic Audio Tri - Ram Muff or Foxey Fuzz.
Both have MIDS knobs so that you can really tune midrange content.

I currently own the Foxey (owned the Tri-Ram previously) and it has exceeded my expectations in its ability to take on a great vowel-like, vocal midrange. The quality of the fuzz is also a bit more focused and refined in the lows than most muffs I've played, which lends a fat, fuzzy distortion character to the low strings... Highs are still nice & rich, not shrill. Incredible pedal, and highly recommended for the role you are seeking to fill.

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
EQD Hoof, Blackout Muskett, Mojohand Iron Bell, Skreddy P19, EHX Big Muff Deluxe

(the usual suspects for mid-strong Muffs)

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I'll jump on the Hoof bandwagon with the others. It is a fantastic muff and doesn't make you disappear when you turn it on.

Trending Topics