• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Big Muff Style Fuzz help

DrSlow

Hey guys,

I'm currently using one of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle reissues for my muffy needs. It's serviceable, but am really jonesing for something new. Ideally it would be a Skreddy Pink Flesh. And it would be free. And I'd have it right now....

Hmmm. Since that didn't seem to work, anyone have any suggestions? Been looking at the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz and the Earthquaker Devices Hoof...just kind of afraid that after I get one of those I'll still want a Pink Flesh. Anyone found something to scratch that itch?

Kev O)))

Stomp Under Foot has just about Muff version you can think of.

The Musket and Hoof are based on the Green Russian but to be different In would suggest looking at an Op-Amp or Triangle Version.

what's wrong with the pickle?

not enough bass?

not enough smoothness for leads?

not enough doom?

Are you looking for the ultimate Wall of sound?

do you want to be old David Gilmour? New David Gilmour? Cherub Rock? etc?

post rock instrumental stuff?

I've owned lots of Muffs/clones. I can help you if you tell me what you're seeking. :thu:

DrSlow

what's wrong with the pickle?

not enough bass?

not enough smoothness for leads?

not enough doom?

Are you looking for the ultimate Wall of sound?

do you want to be old David Gilmour? New David Gilmour? Cherub Rock? etc?

post rock instrumental stuff?

I've owned lots of Muffs/clones. I can help you if you tell me what you're seeking. :thu:
Fair enough. I guess I can get some Gilmour stuff with the Pickle, a little OD and some delay, but then when I want to get all nasty and Jack White it takes me 15 minutes of messing around with it to get the sound right. Just has too many knobs and the 2 little guys are impossible to read when I'm standing up. Not unhappy with the sounds from it, just takes too much fiddling with to adjust it. So, to be specific, I want to be able to switch from "Mother" ('79 Gilmour) to the Black Keys by turning up the gain/fuzz/sustain whatever the "MORE DIRT" knob is labeled. That's how, at least intuitively, my brain wants it to operate. I don't want to tweak a million parameters to get where I'm going (hence I haven't purchased the Musket yet).

For the dirtier stuff, I tend to like the green muffs. For the Gilmour stuff...I guess I'm just never really sure what he's using exactly. Maybe a Triangle Muff with a Coloursound or something. Not a fuzz expert by any means. Really like his Animals tones tho....who doesn't?

Fair enough. I guess I can get some Gilmour stuff with the Pickle, a little OD and some delay, but then when I want to get all nasty and Jack White it takes me 15 minutes of messing around with it to get the sound right. Just has too many knobs and the 2 little guys are impossible to read when I'm standing up. Not unhappy with the sounds from it, just takes too much fiddling with to adjust it. So, to be specific, I want to be able to switch from "Mother" ('79 Gilmour) to the Black Keys by turning up the gain/fuzz/sustain whatever the "MORE DIRT" knob is labeled. That's how, at least intuitively, my brain wants it to operate. I don't want to tweak a million parameters to get where I'm going (hence I haven't purchased the Musket yet).

For the dirtier stuff, I tend to like the green muffs. For the Gilmour stuff...I guess I'm just never really sure what he's using exactly. Maybe a Triangle Muff with a Coloursound or something. Not a fuzz expert by any means. Really like his Animals tones tho....who doesn't?
Interesting!

***disclaimer***: I'm not sure I've encountered anything THAT versatile. FWIW, people tell me the Musket IS that versatile.

BUT, My Stomp Under Foot Civil War can go from Nasty to Smooth, from Gilmour leads, to Caspian wall of sound, and it has three easy to read knobs.

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
What you need is a Skreddy Pig Mine for those smooth Animals tones & a Greer Orange Crush or Black Fuzz for the nasty Black Keys tones. I don't think that you are going to get both out of one pedal with the twist of a knob. The Hoof might get you close, but it would take the twisting of more that one knob. I haven't tried the Musket, but I don't think that it gets nasty enough for the Keys...There was a Black Fuzz in the Emporium for very cheap a while back.

thetangmang

I'm pretty sure that Gilmour uses a Ram's head, but I'm not entirely sure. Dan Auerbach of the Black Key's uses more Maestro based and Superfuzz bases fuzzes. I think Earthquaker Devices would be the best place to start for both these guys. If you find something that fits the bill for both, let me know!

DrSlow

Will look into the Civil War then...

I guess I am imagining a fantasy land where a 3 knob pedal like this exists:

It has volume, tone, and dirt knobs. Once I set the tone to where I want it for my guitar, amp, and fingers, it nevers moves again. The volume is set up for unity gain and a clean boost pedal is there to control my actual loudness. Now all I have to ever do adjust is the dirt knob. At 7:00 it's a bluesy overdrive. At 8:00 it's The Wall. At 10:30 it's Animals. At 1:00 it's Seven Nation Army. At 5:00 it's a wall-o-fuzz. And I'm afraid of 6:00.

Kev O)))

Sounds like a Civil War Muff would be the way to go.

Later Gilmour tones come from the Civil War & Auerbach uses a Green Russian so you should be able to cop both of them with a turn of a dial.

jimtaka

The Musket is that versatile, but it's also got 6 knobs and will require some tweaking to go from one end of the spectrum to the other if you want it to really sound perfect.

itkindaworks

It's pretty well known he uses/used a hoof, it's also pretty safe to say he can squeeze those awesome fuzz sounds out of almost any fuzz.

ChaseTMP

Might be worth contacting John Lyons, from Basic Audio. He may be able to build something that would work perfectly for what you're after.

Mandoboy

Hey guys,

I'm currently using one of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle reissues for my muffy needs. It's serviceable, but am really jonesing for something new. Ideally it would be a Skreddy Pink Flesh. And it would be free. And I'd have it right now....

Hmmm. Since that didn't seem to work, anyone have any suggestions? Been looking at the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz and the Earthquaker Devices Hoof...just kind of afraid that after I get one of those I'll still want a Pink Flesh. Anyone found something to scratch that itch?
Don't overlook Stomp Under Foot; Matt's work is top shelf and affordable.

IAE

You can pick up big muffs from '77 onwards on ebay for a hundred bucks so why bother with clones?!?!?!?! No clone is as good as an original vintage unit IMO. I have 13 Big Muffs, all different, all wonderful, All EXH/.Sovtek!

DrSlow

Wow...thanks for all the input guys. I've been an overdrive guy for a while and I'm just starting to grasp the power of fuzz.

I can't believe all of the constructive answers I got on my first thread here. Definitely exceeded my expectations. And no one even insulted me. This is *not* how the internet is suppose to work...I might have to make 12 accounts and troll myself on here just to feel normal again*.

*Not really going to do that. I guess I'm just surprised how this place actually seems to work as intended.

EricPeterson

Fair enough. Ibut then when I want to get all nasty and Jack White it takes me 15 minutes of messing around with it to get the sound right.

If you want a Jack White tone literally all you need is the current NY RI Big muff, that is all jack uses. No mods, nothing extra, just a cranked fenderish amp and a muff set to a little past noon on the tone, ~2 to 3 o'clock on the gain and the volume to taste should get you there. They can be had all day long in the emporium for 50 bucks.

Top Bottom