• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Big neck, big headstock, big frets. What (used) Fender strat neck do I buy?

VHS analog

Does any Fender neck have all these features, plus a flatter radius, rosewood, and 4 bolt mount? I think I want to build a strat with Fender parts. What I really want is a Mike Landau Custom Shop (pictured below) but at 4 grand that ain't gonna happen. I'm thinking for compatibility I should stick with MIM/USA parts. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ape Factory

Find an exceptional deal on a strat you like from the "waist" down. Jettison the neck in the emporium (or wherever) and order a neck to your specs through one of the major neck builders. Problem solved! Warmoth and others make necks that fit your description.

wilder

There are very few stock Fender necks that have a chunky profile. I think the Jeff Beck, SRV, and EJ Sigs are all fairly chunky but they don't meet your other specs. Warmoth, USACG, etc can build what you want and they are designed to work on Fender bodies. There is no compatibility issue.

sixty2strat

Custom is a good way easiest but check CL for used late 70's I see a few converted to 4 bolt or DIY it, The 69cs shop neck is close to your description IMO but what you call flat and big frets might be massive to me so my suggestions might be way off.

Rayzaa

Highway one neck has those things except the 12" radius. I prefer the 9.5 but if you cant get it,.... Warmoth.

buddastrat

Highway One or American Special necks are NOT even close. Thin "modern C" flat profile neck is not chunky feel at all. wider nut width, 22 frets, and wrong tuners, trees....

I love CBS heads, could look for a used '69 CS, i had a few that had a 9.5" and bigger wire. Also the '66 CS was real nice. Real meaty neck/med jumbos on those, but most had a vintage radius. Otherwise you have to order a custom neck.

65DuoSonic

I love CBS heads, could look for a used '69 CS. . . . Also the '66 CS was real nice.
Agree with buddastrat. A used Fender CS '66 Strat, or CS '68/'69 Strat. You can find them with a flatter radius and big frets. I really dig my CS '66. It's got a beefy neck, and I love the look of the CBS-era headstock. Great pickups on the CS'66 and '68/'69 Strats, too.

VHS analog

There's good suggestions and good information here. Also sixty2strat has me considering a vintage late 70s modded neck.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Get a used Fender Highway one neck.. They're amazing...

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
+1, american special/later hwy1 for two out of three; big headstock, big frets, kinda normal neck size.

buddastrat

That post is from July guys. I have always loved that era of Fenders the best. So I've always had my necks made, unless getting a CS one. A highway or American is wrong is so many ways to me, besides stuff I mentioned up above. Wrong finish, wrong profile, has two trees, has 22 frets...Only close if you squint at it, in the dark while wearing sunglasses, from 50'. But my wife would look at one and says, it looks the same as all the others, so.....

S1Player

if you want a big strat replacement neck - Musikraft will build one that is 1 1/8" thick the entire length, Deep U Shape, and up to a 1.75" nut. You have to compensate for the extra 1/8" neck heel thickness either at the bridge or at the neck pocket - but they are very nice.

55GibsonLPJR

Late 70's strat necks have nice big U shaped necks if you look...7.25 radius thou but you could always get a refret and change that.

Trending Topics