• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Big neck preference?

Neck size preference?

• I prefer big/thick necks

• I prefer smaller/thinner necks

• I have no preference

Results are only viewable after voting.

catpeople

Casually browsing TGP, I get the sense most people here prefer bigger necks, and many say they find them more comfortable. That made me curious, because I find big necks uncomfortable and prefer thinner, flatter necks myself (though I like them wide). I have big hands, so it can't be just about hand size. What's your preference, and why?

Eagle1

Thick necks are more comfortable for thumb over guys, but if you use classical hand position thin and flat is best. Totally personal prefferance .

theruley

I like a thick neck. Can't really explain why, but a thin neck just doesn't feel right to me.

I do a bit of thumb over neck stuff but probably spend more time in a more default position. Can't really handle anything thinner than Gibson 60s Slimtaper (have this on my 335 and still wish it was a bit thicker sometimes) but that is still a lot thicker than the standard Ibanez shredder neck which I can't stand and which have always hurt my hand.

The PRS Wide Fat/Pattern neck seems to be a perfect carve for me.

el supermanny

You are right that hand size does not matter. I have small hands and I think the 50's LP neck is the most comfortable neck around. That style neck just rests nicely in the groove where my thumb meets my palm. Also, I find that Fender necks (like my Strat) make my hand start to hurt rather quickly.

I really want to get my hands on one of the Telecaster U necks to try those out.

Average Joe

I like them medium or bigger. It's not something I think about most of the time but it seems that my favourite necks all have a good deal of depth to them. For me personally that's more important than width. Larger necks are more comfortable for thumb over, but I also think a bit of depth ads to the comfort in the classic left hand position.

catpeople

Thick necks are more comfortable for thumb over guys, but if you use classical hand position thin and flat is best. Totally personal prefferance .
I'm thumb over, bar 3-4 strings with my thumb, and still prefer thin. :dunno

Stratburst70

I have medium to large hands and I much prefer a larger neck - minimum girth .835" at the nut (that's my #1's Warmoth SRV neck). They're much more comfortable when playing longer gigs and when bending strings. I tried one of the monster U-shaped Broadcaster necks from the Custom Shop and it felt huge in my hand but, after a couple of minutes, I was moving around fairly well on it.

JJ321

I don't really have a preference. I've owned LP's and SG's with the 50's style necks and a couple of LP's with the slim 60's profile and some Fenders with the slim C style and I thought that they were all comfotable. I think that the only neck that I didn't like playing was on a couple of Fenders that had a V shaped neck profile. For some reason, I didn't find those comfortable to play.

HerrRentz

Thicker and slightly wider than normal.

I loved the baseball bat neck on the Turner and my R7 VOS Custom is pretty good too.

LarryOM

I always wonder what playing style (rhythm, lead, etc.) a person plays when he says he prefers a thick or thin neck. I play thumb over the top but I play mostly lead and prefer thinner necks. So I wonder if there is some general correlation between styles and neck preferences. In other words, since most seem to prefer thicker necks, are these mostly rhythm players? Or am I just an oddball because I go against the majority who prefer thick necks. Or am I with the majority of lead players. Or is it totally irrelevant? The discussion might be more informative if we knew what style a person played with what neck thickness.

buddhuu

I have short fingers, but once I've acclimatised to a guitar I can get used to thick, thin or in-between. No biggie.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom