Big necks, am I ruined for all of my other guitars?

Glowing Tubes

Silver Supporting Member
I've been playing a Lentz guitar lately, simply the most alive guitar I've ever owned.
First thing I thought when I got it was the neck was just too big to be comfortable. I have smaller hands and they were sore after playing it after a couple days. Because the guitar sounds so amazing, I've kept coming back to it and now I am finally used to it and am starting to really like the feel. Problem is all my other guitars which had semi-chunky necks all feel puny now. :huh

Switching between different neck carves has never been so dramatic.
Spoke to Scott Lentz and he was telling me how the strength of the hand is much better when it's open a bit more, rather than closed in (as on a smaller neck), makes sense actually.

Never thought I'd be so comfortable on a bigger neck, go figure.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Welcome to reality. Yes, you are now ruined as far as small necks. I used to wonder why my left hand hurt all the time with the skinny necks I was playing. Then, I got an SG with a baseball bat neck and guess what? My hand didn't hurt anymore, and I have small hands too. Now, I can't play anything but a fat neck. That's fine by me.

tsar nicholas

Same here -- I played a pencil-necked Rick for 15 years, and when I got my fat-necked SG, it was a major revelation. Now I prefer fat by a country mile

paranoid70

I am finding the opposite to be true. I am having a harder time adjusting to the wide neck on my SG than the narrow necks on my EBMM guitars.

Chicago Slim

Nine years ago I got my first PRS, with a Wide/Fat neck. I didn't want to like it, as it was expensive, but I found that I actually played better on it. I'm a big guy with large hands, so it wasn't much of a surprise. I now own six PRSi, and one Gibson that my wife likes to play.

mannish

You know what I love the fat neck but I also notice my fretting hand gets tired MUCH quicker

empty71

I've been spoilt rotten by FAT necks!!! If the 1st fret is under .900", I won't even bother to try the guitar.

Bobby D

yes......once you go BIG, you are ruined. i can't play thin slim necks anymore. they fatigue my hand, and they don't have as much TONE either

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
I went big for a while, the Allparts SMO Fat I had on a partscaster. I have big hands, so I thought it was a no brainer. While I loved the fat feel, I never felt like I was playing to my fullest, felt hindered by the clumsyness of the back carve and wide shoulders on that neck carve. Some chords were just tough to get to as well. So I built my next partscaster with a slightly smaller carve, with smaller shoulders and while still a fat neck (around .900 or so at the 1st fret to around 1.00 at the 12th), and it is a little more comfy to play...

G Man

Love me a nice full neck shape as well. The Hamer Vintage Curve from the late 90s onward is about perfection when it comes to guitar necks.

briwinters

Think it's tough to switch back and forth between a slim neck and a fattie. Think you're likely to get hand cramps just because your thumb positions will be suddenly very different then what you are used to.

I always had been a slim neck guy because I don't have big monster hands. Had to force myself to keep playing my Baja Tele and Eric Johnson Strat just because I love how they both sound so much. Had to work through the pain. Now my slim neck Strat Plus feels almost unplayable to me when it used to feel "perfect".

thrashmetl

Yup, general concensus is that you are screwed, and I agree. I used to hate fat necked guitars, my brother had a '52 RI Tele and I hated the fat neck on it in comparison to my Tele and other guitars. Then I played a Nocaster that ewas even fatter, BUT.... the shape was different and I LOVED it. I also started to notice that my hand didn't hurt after playing for long periods of time anymore like skinny necks did. I have huge hands so when they are not filled up by a neck, they have to work harder and they start to hurt after a while. I'm still trying to find the perfect shape, but I'm thinking its a Fat C around 1" thick.

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been spoilt rotten by FAT necks!!! If the 1st fret is under .900", I won't even bother to try the guitar.
I agree. I have three Suhr Classic S's with custom ordered 1" thick D shaped necks. It's hard for me to enjoy a guitar with anything small. The '62 Hot Rods don't feel that big to me.

dzo

There is nothing like a Lentz soft V neck for me. Sometime I just sit there and close my eys and hold it at the 2-3 frets.

Kelsey

I like a fairly chunky neck, too, but there is such thing as too much of a good thing. I don't like the Nocaster U or many of the GIbson Historic LP necks, because they are too thick and have too much shoulder. My favorite neck is .85 to .90" at the 1st fret to .85 to 1.00" at the 12th fret with a soft V profile or a C without too much shoulder. Once I started playing guitars with necks like that (56 RI Strat, 66 RI Strat, 58 RI LP Jr DC), I found that I couldn't stand the Fender modern C profile or Gibson 60's slim taper profile anymore. But I still like my 60 relic Strat with a C neck that runs .81 to .93" from 1st to 12th, and it sounds mighty fine as well.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
big fat necks are awesome. slim jims are just too uncomfortable to play anymore.

beej

I find I adjust to whatever I'm playing after a while. Big, small, etc.

Trending Topics