Big pedal boards at rehearsal?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by neosoulchild, Jan 25, 2015.

1. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Question for guys with big pedalboards, like 10 or more pedals.. when you rehearse with the band, do you bring your board as well? I have one fairly large board I generally keep at home, but I've been doing weekly studio sessions of late and I've been thinking about using my board in the studio. Most of the songs we do I recorded with my board anyway, so it would definitely be useful I think in representing the proper soundscapes.. I only ask because in my experience I've not seen anyone with just more than a few pedals in the studio, or a really small board.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

If you plan on using the board when you play, use the board when you rehearse.

3. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I'm actually thinking of making a small board and getting some micro pedals with some of what I have already, but that's a project that may be a few weeks away.. I may experiment with a big board in the studio, but I already have a lot of responsibility already without the added pressure of keeping tabs on 12 pedals.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I know almost nothing about recording, but it seems to me in this day and age recording clean and adding FX later is the simplest/best way to go. That is unless you are all analog, ala Jack White, Lenny Kravitz.

Then again, as I said, I know nothing about recording.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

Take it, if you find you don't need it don't use it. It's best to have the tools at hand then think, damn, I brought the nails but I forgot the hammer.

6. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Recording clean and adding efx later can work in certain situations, but, if a guitar player has specific pedals for specific sounds on parts of a song it's good to work your pedal board while recording your tracks. At least that's how I like to work with recording or recording someone else -- and I use Pro Tools for everything.

7. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

If you print an effect, you live with it or recut the part. These days, people will not even commit to amp sounds and use reamping. Ymmv. I say, get it right while recording. If you have concerns, you could also use a splitter box with one effect amp and one clean. I have done that in the studio when unsure of the fx in the overall mix. Again, ymmv. However, thinking up front saves time later.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Don't you like playing with all those toys all the time? Go for it.

9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

That's one theory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

For live/rehearsal rigs I work backwards - I decide what I want/need live, I put it on a board, and I rehearse and gig with it.

In the studio, I do whatever makes sense for the track and particular logistics. Usually guitar->amp->mic.... but if I plan on using stomp-box style FX, I don't hesitate to print them.

11. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Rehearsing for live performance? Yeah, the big pedalboard.

Not only do I need to practice getting the pedal switching right, what if I wanna try something different during rehearsal? My band always lets me explore and they even give me feedback on what sounds they think go best with the song.

12. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

This would be for live rehearsal, not recording at the moment. When I do record guitar and bass I use my pedals and record that way, I found adding effects later didn't work for me, but I use lots of guitar effects.

13. LPBlues

LPBlues Member

South of the 49th on an island in Canada eh!
    my board is a bit undersized I guess, only 9 pedals :). I bring it to gigs, recording and rehearsals and use it at home when practicing. I might be downsizing soon due to the realities of my new gig but either way, my rig wouldn't sound right without all the pieces in place. I almost always have two pedals on.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

For real ... you have to try your tone combinations somewhere if you aren't playing live all that much ...!!

15. jordane93

jordane93 Member

My board stays at church all the time.

16. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Big and medium board... Both are used for different situations. If I need more spacial tones including multiple delays, verbs and octave tones I bring the big one. For recording, I bring the big one. For other gigs I bring the smaller one. It's a case per case basis --- but if the gig calls for it I bring it. Cartage is just the rub. I never think about having to carry or not -- just whether or not the gig calls for it.

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I rehearse with what I play with.

I use a big board in church and a small board for my cover band.

18. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I pretty much always bring my main board to practise.
    Tap dancing needs to be rehearsed ;)

19. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I made a micro board for portability and it
    sounds so good its replaced my heavy big board

20. mikebat

mikebat Member

Why have two setups? The only thing I do is have my board ready for front of amp and fx loop, or just front of amp