Big Smashing Pumpkins news that’s all but been officially confirmed

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by thrashmetl, Feb 6, 2018.

1. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Those texts - heavily edited - but still make Darcy look foolish. He offered her a spot on the tour and left the door open several times. All she had to do was say: 'Done, I'm in. 100% healthy - when are the rehearsals?". Then get on the phone and make it happen. Sounds like there is just so much bad blood there and ego (both sides) that there is no possibly way they could function on a long tour together without old wounds re-opening. BC is no saint but her rant on the interview also seems scatterbrained and makes her look foolish. She knew where the bread was buttered. You never hear Adam Clayton complaining about Edge and Bono doing all the heavy lifting. And everyone loves him. I'm not saying she is wrong - just that in those texts it seems like he was extending the olive branch and she was complaining that it was not extended far enough.

Lution, jammwill, AxeLover and 3 others like this.
  2. IYWBBYGBG

IYWBBYGBG Member

JCM 800

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Seems like maybe the best thing thing would have been for the four of them to meet and just have a discussion about working together again, and see what it might look like.

Would they make new music?
    Tour right away?
    Tour after recording?
    Tour as a four-piece, or bring in some other musicians?

If that conversation went poorly, and didn't lead to a full reunion, at least Corgan could have taken the high road and said, truthfully: "We tried to make it happen, but it looks like it won't work out"

Instead, the soap opera/tragicomedy continues...

4. partytrain

partytrain Member

Thanks for posting this. It just validates that the pumpkins are making the right decision by moving on without her. She just comes off incredibly unstable. She constantly contradicts herself, the writer has to correct her regarding which album she was recording when she had some of her problems. He asks her what she’s been doing for the last 18 years, and she starts talking about Billy listening to Mozart. She keeps mentioning how James and Jimmy feel, but then mentions that she hasn’t talked to them. It also explains why Billy seems to be treating her with kid gloves in that heavily edited text conversation she posted. Seems like she could come fully unglued at any moment. Not only could a tour with someone like that be potentially volatile for the whole band, but it seems like it could be dangerous for her mentally.

Highlights from the interview:

“No, no. We were never friends.”
    “Oh yeah, I really enjoyed our friendship.”

“the thing with that was I was going through a really bad time, I didn’t know what was happening, I was having a nervous breakdown. I had 30 plus panic attacks a day, I didn’t know what it was, it was terrible.”

“Going in the studio with the band was always a ****ing nightmare.”

“I did a lot, I was either doing a shitload of stuff, or I was sick. I would just work myself to death. I almost died one time”

“ I had bronchitis and pneumonia, and I ended up with a kidney infection, I was minutes from death.”

“You know how they’re always telling you in school drugs will do this to you; they’ll do that to you, drinking kills your brain cells? At the time I was like good, maybe I can kill off all these horrible memories, because I have night terrors, panic disorder, you name it. I was like; I’m going to see if I can’t kill those brain cells off! I wouldn’t recommend it, it didn’t work. I count myself lucky to be alive.” (This was her response to a comment by the writer about Austin, tx being a beautiful place).

Does this sound like someone you want to go on a tour with?

Looking forward to new music and the tour. D’arcy’s absence won’t impact my enjoyment at all.

5. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Reading this interview, she comes off as a PITA. No way I'd want her on tour. Billy is an ass, but she comes off as one too.

Huge Pumpkins fan, btw (up to about 98). Saw them in 2013 (I've seen them probably 20 times since early 90s) and left early. Billy's voice is shot and they had some sit-in drummer who couldn't play Jimmy's parts. It was like a cover band.

Thedude99 likes this.
  6. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    I agree with a lot of what you said, and @partytrain points out the main inconsistencies in her telling of events, but, it would have been a more effective interview if the interviewer had kept her on point a bit more, maybe the story would have been a bit more clear. Either way, I am not sure we are dealing with a group of people as a whole who have the most effective interpersonal skills, as exemplified with a number of Corgan comments already in this thread.

What I find so fascinating is the personalities and roles people play in these bands, and how you really don't know them. Regarding Wretzky touring with SP, if you can navigate through a lot of her story telling, and if you take her at her word, it sounded to me like Corgan is bringing these guys back because he needs the money, or he thinks he needs the money and this obviously will be a bigger tour (I though her t-shirt story and asking for money was bizarre, wonder if that is true.) If that is the case, I would take the gig if I was Wretzky but only if I wasn't marginalized. She doesn't sound like she needs the money, so if Corgan wanted her name so he could claim it was a full on reunion tour to increase ticket sales (she made the carrot analogy), but I only had a Steven Adler role, I would say no thank you.

Lastly, she never did answer the question about how much she has been playing music over the last 18 years, so one does wonder if and when she could get her chops back up again.

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Thank God for rock stardom. The more I learn about rock stars, the more I realize they couldn't possibly make it in the real world.

PedalFreak likes this.
  8. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Man, the whole scene is completely bananas. They’re all nuts.

spakuloid likes this.
  9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I worked at Guitar Center on Clark Street in Chicago from 1991-1993 and dealt with all three non-drumming Pumpkins.

Corgan: Always cool, bought every Fender Lace Sensor pickup we had in stock, had a guy with a briefcase following him around to cut checks for his purchases.
    Iha: Also cool, quiet, I sold him the TV yellow SG he plays in the "Cherub Rock" video as well as a bouzouki and some other random stuff.
    D'Arcy: Threw a hissy on the sales floor when an EBMM Stingray she bought developed a neck twist, had minimal discernible playing skills when demoing gear.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Lution, mikendzel, jammwill and 7 others like this.
  10. billboy73

billboy73 Member

They could sit down with that guy with the sweaters that worked with Metallica! Maybe he could make it happen. I have been a big Pumpkins fan, including 2007 to present. Billy is obviously not without fault and has an ego for sure, but I don't trust D'arcy at all. I look forward to hearing some new music.

11. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

Sad that a bunch of adults in their 40's can't communicate via anything other than texts. As much as I love the early Pumpkins albums (and some of the recent stuff too), these people are just total train wrecks.

AxeLover likes this.
  12. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Corgan himself has always sung D'arcy's praises for being the moral compass of the band, the truth-teller-like-it-is, the only one who didn't give a **** if you disagreed, the honest one. The only one who could stand up to Bill.
    Among fans, Billy is a notorious liar with ever-increasing doublespeak skills. He's always been full of it, always.
    They're both immature and eccentric rock stars who checked out of planet earth in 1991.
    If I have to believe one, it won't be Billy Corgan. I'm not that naive.
    I've been in many abusive relationships and have known/been related to narcissists. What D'arcy describes is exactly what it's like.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, but as of yesterday, Bill can go to hell.

ziggybumwah likes this.
  13. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Aren’t you essentially on a group text right now:dunno

14. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

What a **** storm. Any way you look at it, it's disheartening being a pumpkin fan these days.

Gevalt likes this.
  15. jblake

jblake Member

I couldn't explain how big of a Pumpkins fan I am without sounding like a crazy person, but I don't think there was ever any way that this was going to happen.

I still think the winning formula for a SP album is Billy + Jimmy + a producer with a solid pop sensibility (Vig, Moulder, Flood). They could definitely create a huge album with any of those three, or Rubin, Ballard, Stent, Eno. It just needs to be someone with enough spine to rein Corgan in.

Captainruss and Jarick like this.
  16. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

These days?

We've been suffering for 20 years!

17. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I used to enjoy going to that store. I had a few friends that worked on the crew for SP and I remember running into Iha once when I was there with one of them.

Heinz57Pep likes this.
  18. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

Right, but for the purposes of online bitching, this format is fine. These people are discussing major label recording sessions and world tours...:dunno

AxeLover and stevenymets like this.
  19. partytrain

partytrain Member

Speak for yourself. We’re about to get some new pumpkin music (with Billy and Jimmy, the true core of SP), and a tour where we even get to see James. What could possibly be disheartening about that?

20. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

It's all a work, a lie, a ruse, a sham, a façade, etc.

New pumpkins music? Have you not heard the last 5 albums, or did the last 11 years of crap not happen?

Thedude99 likes this.