• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Big Stage Tone= Bramhall + White

soldano16

That was great. THX!!!!

There you have the two classic guitar tones, great Strat and great LP.

That was fun.

soldano16

It was Doyle's use of the Ultimate Attenuator that gave me the confidence to shell out the fairly big bucks.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What a great concert that was!! thankx for posting that

todd richman

Great video. As much as I love Doyle's tone and playing, Snowy is so laid back and has such good note choices and vibrato. Is this clip form the In The Flesh Live DVD from 2001? The footage is definitely multi-camera, pro shot.

Madison

Great video. As much as I love Doyle's tone and playing, Snowy is so laid back and has such good note choices and vibrato. Is this clip form the In The Flesh Live DVD from 2001? The footage is definitely multi-camera, pro shot.
Yes, 'In the Flesh'. I watched 5 or 6 segments from the concert last night. Doyle was a main attraction...guitar, lead vocals, and a hot wife way over on the right! Really for pretty much staying in a safe box on the neck he sounded fantastic. Snowy gets around a bit more fluidly and comes off as a seasoned pro...superbly tasteful. At least one solo is tossed to Andy Fairweather Low and by comparison he sounds rushed, thin and scratchy, made more obvious by Snowy following him with an amazing solo.

Doyle seems a bit out of it in the last Crossroads show. Has he lost some desire, or maybe just uninspired? I realize being sandwiched by Clapton and Trucks could have some impact, but doesn't seem to have any fire in his playing in the last Crossroads.

Back to the Waters show again, this one has a nice ending with both up on the back riser trading off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=invo5D6SuBQ&feature=related

Last edited:

todd richman

Madison

Great solo Snowy clip. His overall tone is so professional and gorgeous-all with his one 57 Goldtop although he does actually use a few other guitars including a backup Goldtop! I didn't realize he was such a good singer also. Sort of a mix of Gilmour and Rick Wright.

Here's another SW solo clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBXTNAdvGKI&feature=related

And another-Black Magic Woman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7ZGtAnNDDs&feature=related
Yeah I watched 'Bird of Paradise' last night, very nice. Mostly I knew of Snowy from early Thin Lizzy records. Man, I love youtube!

todd richman

youtube is great-I have found so many cool guitar players that I probably would never have heard of otherwise! There are some great classic band clips too like Zep 1975 and 1977, Floyd 1977, etc.

hb_nz

WHat is Snowy using for that lead tone? I know it is two AC30's. But what pedals?
There's a pic of the pedalboard he used floating around somewhere and believe it or not, it looked like he was using a Line 6 DM4 for his OD's...

At least one solo is tossed to Andy Fairweather Low and by comparison he sounds rushed, thin and scratchy, made more obvious by Snowy following him with an amazing solo.
I loved that solo by Andy Fairweather Low! All attitude and snarl.

todd richman

+1 for Snowy on the Money clip. He definitely has a bit of the Gilmour sensibility and phrasing which is no surprise since he played 2nd guitar on the Animals and Wall tours.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
No doubt a lot of attitude and snarl, not knocking him but I couldn't listen to that for very long. Check it out when Snowy comes in after AFL's solo...pure soaring tone. :AOK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPR1PCTsUq8&feature=related
Bear in mind that the original version switches to that dry punchy tone for a portion of the solo, as a contrast, and I suspect (based only on my own conjecture:crazy) that he (AFL) was assigned that role.

Trending Topics