Big string guages and tuning hardware

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tri7/5, May 30, 2008.

1. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

Yes I realize I mispelled "gauge" in the thread title so we can all move on... I know I can't be the only one in this boat and maybe there is an easy answer here aside from having to change hardware completely that I've yet to think about. Basically I need to get a 60-70 gauge string on my guitar. I haven't owned a guitar that handled anything more than about a 56 gauge. That seems to be about the de-facto peg hold size. The current tuners are sperzel locking and they also handle a 56 and that's it.

So what are my options? Is there such a thing as a thin ended string that compounds into a bigger gauge or something that would fit? Any, anything?

Changing to huge tuning hardware just seems like it would look terrible and out of sorts.

2. DC1

DC1 Member

I'd call Sperzel up. You may be able to put one bass key on there, or better yet, they might make you up one custom with a larger string hole.

They have always been up for special projects in my experience.

DC

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

4. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

I had thought about it but never really dealt with them before so cool, I'll give it a shot.

5. DC1

DC1 Member

If that doesn't work out, I think the old split shaft Klusons would fit most any string.

DC