Big Wreck 7.2 - might be their best 5 songs ever

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
Similar to 7.1 from which I love High On the Hog and Bombs Away, from 7.2 I really dig Fear & Cowardice and The House. I'm not super crazy about the rest of the tracks. Waiting for 7.3 in a few months.

Creighton

I once heard a Big Wreck song on the radio that I really liked and have no idea what it was called and have tried listening but never found it. Sounded like kind of a power dirge countryish type thing with good guitar work and chord changes.

Reactions: BUK

BUK

I once heard a Big Wreck song on the radio that I really liked and have no idea what it was called and have tried listening but never found it. Sounded like kind of a power dirge countryish type thing with good guitar work and chord changes.
Radio where?
This one?
Hey Mama

Live

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
Absolutely Love BW and truly believe that IT is one of the most talented singer/songwriter/guitarists on the planet. His sense of melody and general musicality is at such a high level. It seems the climb to his peak is still a work in progress and he refuses to slow down. Much Love, Respect and Appreciation for his immense talent! The only disappointing aspect is they don't often come to the Left Coast.

Electric I

Recently Big Wreck in Niagara.
I love how the second solo section in Ghosts has evolved. He goes on a discordant jazz saxophone-like run then it breaks back into this intense rise, then back out into that cool Law and Order theme just for fun. They are so good live!

Killin' it. Love how Ian mixes the outside & inside notes in just the right ratio.

Electric I

The best live rock band on the planet, bar none. I've been a fan since 2005. Big Wreck has some radio hits in Canada, and they get played a lot. Their newer stuff is actually much better than their older stuff, which is a testament to the talent in that band. Just awesome.

+1 to all of this.

dumdums

Killin' it. Love how Ian mixes the outside & inside notes in just the right ratio.
I do find the production of the newer records to be a bit less hi-fi than "Albatross" and "Ghosts". Maybe it's just my old headphones, but the productions don't breathe as much. There's a lack of clarity and punch and space. The songwriting, playing and vocals on Big Wreck records is always stellar, but "Albatross" and "Ghosts" sounded way better than the newer records. Why? Nick Raskulinecz. Get that guy back, band. You sounded best with him as lead producer.

Last edited:

Five Horizons

Silver Supporting Member
I like the new EP, but I think I still prefer stuff like “Pleasure and the Greed”, “Albatross” and “Ghosts”.

Any way you slice it BW is criminally underrated, Ian is one of the best musicians I’ve ever heard.

Auk

Gold Supporting Member
I do find the production of the newer records to be a bit less hi-fi than "Albatross" and "Ghosts". Maybe it's just my old headphones, but the productions don't breathe as much. There's a lack of clarity and punch and space.

You're not wrong. New material seems to have less air and dynamics.

• Wow

dumdums

You're not wrong. New material seems to have less air and dynamics.
I know, right? The songwriting and playing is great. I just think they could get a fresh set of ears in the studio. I could only imagine what a Big Wreck record would sound like if Michael Beinhorn produced one. Personally, I love it when bands change the producer each record, to change the sound.

• Wow

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Listed to 7.2 this week as the first BW music I have ever really listened to and man my mind is blown! Amazing songwriting, guitar playing, singing and everything else. Can't believe I never bothered listening to them. Amazing stuff!

DrewJD82

I do find the production of the newer records to be a bit less hi-fi than "Albatross" and "Ghosts". Maybe it's just my old headphones, but the productions don't breathe as much. There's a lack of clarity and punch and space. The songwriting, playing and vocals on Big Wreck records is always stellar, but "Albatross" and "Ghosts" sounded way better than the newer records. Why? Nick Raskulinecz. Get that guy back, band. You sounded best with him as lead producer.

That’s funny because I‘ve hated the mastering on their albums up until the two recent ones. They’re often smashed to piss and back, especially “…..but for the sun” which I couldn’t even listen to because it was just so damn distorted from the master.

I first noticed it when listening to “A Million Days”, once the drums and bass come in it sounds like the speakers are going to blow and not in a good way. Then I couldn’t unhear it and I’m generally not someone who gets bothered by a hot master.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom