Big Wreck 7.2 - might be their best 5 songs ever

BUK

Listed to 7.2 this week as the first BW music I have ever really listened to and man my mind is blown! Amazing songwriting, guitar playing, singing and everything else. Can't believe I never bothered listening to them. Amazing stuff!

Enjoy the journey. Deep and wide music on multiple levels that keeps revealing itself over time. Can't ask for much more.

BillTrantos

Big Wreck is one of my favourite bands, probably top 3 or 5. But I don't share the sentiment about their recent albums. They're pretty good, don't get me wrong, but I think they're nowhere near "Ghosts", "Albatross" or "Grace Street", both in terms of mix/master and songwriting.

Ian Thornley's solo albums during the 00s were also pretty good.

Glad to see that they're liked in the forum though, Ian is a worldclass musician and one of my two main inspirations to pick up the slide.

You're not wrong. New material seems to have less air and dynamics.

This is my one problem with Big Wreck. I feel they’ve been let down by the production on all the records I’ve listened to. There’s great tones on there, but they are pretty much hard crushed in mastering (assumption).

I bet in a live context the tunes really come to life. Lots of talent in that band.

Reactions: BUK

PierreL

Silver Supporting Member
I do find the production of the newer records to be a bit less hi-fi than "Albatross" and "Ghosts". Maybe it's just my old headphones, but the productions don't breathe as much. There's a lack of clarity and punch and space. The songwriting, playing and vocals on Big Wreck records is always stellar, but "Albatross" and "Ghosts" sounded way better than the newer records. Why? Nick Raskulinecz. Get that guy back, band. You sounded best with him as lead producer.
Would definitely agree on that. Even though I got used to the production on the last records eventually.

dumdums

This is my one problem with Big Wreck. I feel they’ve been let down by the production on all the records I’ve listened to. There’s great tones on there, but they are pretty much hard crushed in mastering (assumption).

I bet in a live context the tunes really come to life. Lots of talent in that band.
The best sounding record Ian Thornley did "Come again". Gavin Brown really knows how to produce.

dumdums

I remember liking that one a whole lot…good point!
Yeah, they don't call him "Golden Gavin" for nothing. That guy somehow managed to churn out radio-ready rock hits that also don't sound compressed to absolute crap. There's still a lot of dynamics in the mix, and the drums have that punch I want from a rock mix.

"Come again" was supposed to make Ian Thornley into a big rock star, as far as I know. How or why that record didn't propel him more into the mainstream outside of Canada is mind boggling to me. I do know that at one point Velvet Revolver wanted Ian as their lead singer, after Weiland left. I think that didn't work out because Ian is also a way, way, way better guitar player than Slash. He said in an interview that he is a guitar player first, and being in a band where he had to do more standard frontman stuff without a guitar was just not going to work. It's a shame he didn't do one record, just so we could hear what that would have sounded like.

Yeah, they don't call him "Golden Gavin" for nothing. That guy somehow managed to churn out radio-ready rock hits that also don't sound compressed to absolute crap. There's still a lot of dynamics in the mix, and the drums have that punch I want from a rock mix.

"Come again" was supposed to make Ian Thornley into a big rock star, as far as I know. How or why that record didn't propel him more into the mainstream outside of Canada is mind boggling to me. I do know that at one point Velvet Revolver wanted Ian as their lead singer, after Weiland left. I think that didn't work out because Ian is also a way, way, way better guitar player than Slash. He said in an interview that he is a guitar player first, and being in a band where he had to do more standard frontman stuff without a guitar was just not going to work. It's a shame he didn't do one record, just so we could hear what that would have sounded like.
IIRC the expectation in velvet revolver was that Ian Thornley would not be allowed to play guitar…and that didn’t sit well with him; in part because he didn’t feel comfortable without a guitar strapped around his neck.

dumdums

IIRC the expectation in velvet revolver was that Ian Thornley would not be allowed to play guitar…and that didn’t sit well with him; in part because he didn’t feel comfortable without a guitar strapped around his neck.
Yeah, that would have been like asking Chris Cornell to just play guitar in your band while some other guy sang.

BUK

Just to bump this thread yet again..... there seems to be little fanfare/promotion for this EP out on the interwebs. So amongst all the noise I keep shouting and pointing.

I also paint portraits as a hobby. Some of my latest....
BWTeePortraits.jpg

BW_Sekou3.jpg

Babaji

...Got to see them at the now closed Washington, DC, Rock and Roll Hotel 9/30/19( look it up on youtube). A really small room for them to play! They crushed it! It was a sardine fest...

BUK

Sekou POV. The familiar from another angle always brings some expanded appreciation. I hope he continues to post more.

Electric I

Big Wreck having some fun at a hot show in Halifax a couple of days back.

Was at this show & what a treat! The most animated I've ever seen them. All cylinders were firing at once. Ian was genuinely impressed with the crowd carrying the vocals at the 27:05 mark.

A banner night for family/friends/ me & we all left the venue knowing we witnessed something special.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I know I sound like a shill. The messenger is flawed, but the message is worthy. If you've never given Big Wreck a shot, do it now. Draws on classic roots but is a powerfully forward looking statement. 25 years in and Ian is making some of the best music in his catalog.

I fanboy gushed about it here.

This is a playlist of all 5 on 7.2. 25 min goes by fast... then repeat.

OMG... f@ck yea grabbing this!

• Wow

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Really like 7.2, but Rye Bread is just killer. I cant get it out of my head....in a good way

Trending Topics

Top Bottom